Growing Up In The South

Growing Up In The South

Why I'm Happy to Have Grown Up in Texas

61
Growing Up In The South
www.benzinga.com

I've lived in Texas my whole life, specifically Dallas since I was 5 years old. And I think maybe it's a Texas pride or just southern pride. Whatever the case may be, I have always been thankful for growing up down here!There's nothing better than owning a couple of horses and going down to the ranch and riding in an open field. People assume Dallas isn't much for southern roots, but I'd say otherwise. Because even a 40 minute to an hour drive leads out to the vast countryside. My family and I have always owned our own horses-and I grew up with friends and family who own ranches, so hunting is never a rare occasion. Personally, I don't hunt like the rest of my family does, however I love a good BBQ. That plays a huge role in the lives of a southern-good BBQ. Even foods that shouldn't have BBQ on it, have it because it's a necessity here.

Maybe I've noticed my love of Texas and the south, through all my volleyball club travels. We'd mostly travel to northern states such as: Minnesota, Washington, or Maryland. I didn't mind it there but every time someone asked where my team and I were from, we'd smile and say "TEXAS", most people's reactions were "Oh so you guys say 'y'all' a lot?", once in a legitimate conversation someone asked if we'd rode horses to school...I'm proud to be from Texas, but I definitely wouldn't be proud to have to ride my horse an hour to and from school on the highway. There is a lot of assumptions about the south, some good and some bad, but if I'm being honest I don't think I could've been raised anywhere else!

Texas offers crazy weather, however summer time can be miserable for most-except I love the heat. Going up North was dreadful for me, the cold is nice because of the cute outfits you can wear but I still prefer more of the heat. I love how in the South having manners and southern hospitality is reinforced so much as a child, that's it becomes something without thinking. I'm not saying people in the North are rude, but I think there's a bigger enforcement on hospitality. I can't go up north for too long because I'll start missing the food-all my favorite BBQ and Mexican restaurants and of course Whataburger, and having Dr. Pepper since most states don't carry Dr. Pepper. Growing up in any southern state can definitely push your appetite limit to the max, and make your next day workouts harder than ever! And lastly, I won't forget to mention Texas football. Whether or not your a fan of football it's a time, in the fall that brings everyone together. I don't understand football much nor care about it, but it's the atmosphere and going to the high school/college football games are even better! Although the Dallas Cowboys haven't been on their A game in awhile, most say they still stand behind our Cowboys, and we have pride in knowing our Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders have been one of the best cheer squads in all of NFL history!

But as traditional as each of the southern states can be-Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, etc. I think it's safe to say we all take pride in our southern roots! And to quote the truth- "Don't Mess with Texas."