12 Reasons Why Growing Up In A Small Town Is Beneficial

Reasons why I loved my small town and the people in it.

3175

Being a student in a school where most people come from Rochester or Buffalo shows me some much appreciated reasons for growing up in a small town. And although I grew up in a small town that was just too small for the big dreams I had, I will always carry it with me for these few reasons.

1. You develop street smarts, even if they are dirt roads.

You have no option but to learn your "P's & Q's." You learn that you say please and thank you when you ask someone to do something for you.

2. You make friends that you get to keep for a lifetime.

This may stem from the fact that you only graduate with 43 people, and you get to know all 43 people. You are forced to be with these people from Pre-K until 12th grade, and let's face it, some of us go to college together, too.

3. You learn to appreciate animals.

Most small towns have farms... everywhere. Hurt a farmer's cow, I dare you.

4. You get a unique education.

Your teachers know you. In fact, they know you before you even step into their classroom. On top of that, they know your parents and probably your grandparents as well (they may even be friends). So, you're failing? Your parents will know by the time you get home. Brace yourself.

5. You get to make a lot of memories.

And by memories, I mean things like mudding before prom, four wheeling in the snow and hunting and fishing. (When I said I appreciate animals, sometimes I mean I appreciate how they taste).

6. Getting used to the poor weather.

Anyone who has ever been to St. Bonaventure knows the weather is crazy. But, the small town I am from, we get ice not snow. Consider yourselves lucky. If you see me walking in a sweatshirt when it's 12 degrees, don't be alarmed.

7. Learning that drama doesn't benefit anyone.

In high school, you learn that drama is petty. You will get told off and possibly punched.

8. Stars are much easier to see when you aren't looking through city lights.

No explanation needed.

9. You learn to trust people you don't know.

You don't worry about reckless drivers or people stealing from you; it is a benefit of knowing everybody in your town. Crime rates are ridiculously low, which could be because we all own guns.

10. You develop DYI/Handyman skills.

These will stay with you for the rest of your life. I mean, I have a zip-tie holding part of my car together. Duct tape can fix almost anything, just so you know.

11. An exciting day is simple.

Driving 30 minutes to Walmart is as fun as going to a theme park for small town dwellers.

12. You learn to love sports.

For us, we spent our Friday and Saturday nights at hockey rinks, because we had nothing else to do.

From Your Site Articles