Common Experiences From Growing Up Black

I'm not one of your little friends.
52

As an African American, growing up is much different than growing up Asian, white or Hispanic. You are always expected to do what your mom or dad (if you have one) tells you to do and not talk back. Sunday morning, you’re expected to wake up at seven for church, and you know you'e in trouble when your parents call you by your full name. If you can relate, keep reading!

In the early 2000's, you had to choose between Beyonce, Ciara and Aaliyah.

Kirk Franklin was treated like the Tupac of Gospel Music.

You did what your mom ordered once she said, “where’s my belt?"

When you told your mom: “Keisha’s mom let her...” and she said, “Do I look like Keisha’s mom?”

You were shocked when your white friends called their parents by their first name.

When you forgot to take the chicken out of the fridge to let it thaw out like your mom told you.

Singing a song and your mom tells you, “you better know your school work like you know them damn lyrics.”

When you asked your mom, “Can we get McDonald's?” and she’s like, “You got McDonald's money.”

During the summertime you’re told to stop going in and out the house and don’t leave the fridge open too long.

Girls are told: you better not get pregnant.

Guys are told about how to deal with the police.

When you go the grocery store with your mom and she tells to put back whatever you picked up.

Your childhood was spent watching shows like these.

You had to spend summer barbecues hearing Marvin Gaye, Prince, or Babyface when you really wanted to bump Kanye West or Lil' Wayne

You always went to the theaters to see the new Madea movie

Soul food was delicious.