8 Signs You Grew Up in a Conservative Household

The good ole days.

2470
cachevalleyfamilymagazine

Children who grow up in conservative households are taught traditional rules and guidelines from a very young age. Conservative parents have a specific way of doing things, and conservative kids feel the result.

1. You weren't allowed date.

I remember feeling so left out in middle school and high school for not dating anyone. I remember being the girl that wasn't allowed to date.

Today, I really appreciate that I've had only a few relationships. In middle school and high school, those “relationships” were hardly dating, even if I didn't realize it until now.

2. As soon as you could walk, you could work.

Yep, my conservative household found this very important and so did I. I was hired for my first job before I even turned 16, and by the time I was 18 I had at least 4 jobs.

3. At some point, all of your family parties have turned into political debates.

When my family would get together, on holidays or events, somehow politics was always brought up. I didn't understand it when I was younger, but now I appreciate being able to chime in my opinions with the rest of my family, even if some don't agree.

4. You definitely got spanked.

Yes, I said it.

Spanking is ok!

Today when people look at kids being spanked, it's perceived as cruel or abusive. I got spanked here and there when I broke the rules. Spanking is ok! It taught me to respect authority, my parents, and adults. If I wasn't spanked as a child, I wouldn't be as disciplined as I am today.

5. You always went to church.

If my family and me didn't go to church every Sunday, we went to church during the week. My parents made sure that my siblings and I had a religious education. Once a week on a week night, my mom would take us to church for class where we learned about our religion and the Bible. While we were in religious education classes, my mom helped out at the church.

6. Only 1 piercing was allowed per ear.

All of my friends were getting their nose pierced and had triple piercings on each ear. I remember wanting my nose pierced so bad I did it myself! Now, I'm happy my parents never let me, because I don't have tons of piercings I need to take out before going to work.

7. You couldn't cuss.

This may sound pretty self-explanatory but my parents were the kind of parents who though everything was a cuss word. When I was young, I wasn't allowed to say “that sucks” because "sucks" was a swear word.

8. Family first.

You guys are always together. While all your friends went to the movies, you went to visit your grandma. And on holidays, when all your friends got together for a New Years Eve party, you stayed home with your family. Spending time with your family was always more important than spending time with your friends or by yourself.

I wouldn't change a thing about my conservative upbringing!