What It's Really Like Growing Up With A Twin

The convergent journey of having a twin brother with stark differences in personality and passions that foils our own individual characters

137
Sarthak Panda

Each year, someone will always ask that question,“You guys are twins?” shortly followed by “Wow! What’s it like?” I know that no matter what our response is to that question, no one will ever feel satisfied with the answer. Do we do our homework together? Do we have the same classes? Who’s the (blank) type?” My brother and I have come to accept the excitement of people that follows year by year. Still, we have to laugh. When we meet new people, we’ll go through the same procedure and before being labeled as “the twins”. Eyes quickly move from left to right, examining the two of us and then waiting for the statement, “Oh you two don’t look alike!” You wouldn’t think we’re twins right away because we’re fraternal! More questions. More answers. Soon enough, I was not called by my nickname, Sunny and he was not called by his nickname, Som. Instead, we were SunnySom. We had become a single entity.

As my brother and I were growing up, we were inseparable. Maybe it was the fact that we shared our mother’s womb and the dizygotic cells allowed us to form a close bond from birth. After all, we dressed up in the same clothes, played with the same toys, and finished each other’s lines. We were introduced to instruments from an early age and being twins became advantageous. We would always stir up excitement in our performances being the twin musicians. We simultaneously knew when a chord was off, or when to do an extra verse for the crowd or how to end the song when improvising. Our synergy was formed since our birth. We were always on the same page. After the performances we would thank everybody, meet new people, and go through the same question cycle again. Our parents’ friends and classmates would always compare us on our appearances or our personalities, trying to make distinctions. We just let the conversations go and would go find something fun to do. It was good to have someone always with you. We were never bored.