I'm A Military Brat And I Went To DODDS
Friendships

Growing up as a military brat

Being a military brat, I have had the unique experience of traveling overseas, meeting new people and experiencing many unique cultures. With this came many growing pains, moving trucks and "see you laters."

485
Bella Ortiz
Bella Ortiz

When I was 11 years old, my father got military orders to be stationed in Germany. At this time, I had just started middle school and was adjusting to all the things being a preteen comes with.

I hate to admit it now, but I was not pleased with the idea of moving overseas. I had already switched and moved schools six times prior to hearing this news, so I was filled with uncertainty. I was not doubtful because I knew I had to start over or move to a whole new country, I was doubtful because I had to accept the fact that this and the next few moves would only be temporary places.

At this time in my life, I began to dislike the military since it meant my father being deployed often and my family moving frequently.

You see, being a military brat comes with certain ground rules that are not really stated or mentioned. Things like you don't always see your mom or dad because they are deployed for months or years, are one of those. Or how about the crazy duty stations you will live in because of your parents' orders. Moving was no problem for me since I was ever so rarely in a place for a couple of years. I learned that the friends I made now would eventually be gone within a year or less. The family members that were once only a few hours away would be miles and miles away. The roots I had planted in a community would eventually be rooted up only to be planted in another.

However military life it is not all bad.

After growing up and maturing, I realized that my life had been filled with countless adventures and blessings because of the military. I have been given the blessed opportunity of traveling to several countries on four different continents. It is also very humbling to say that I have had the opportunity to travel to other countries just to play sports or to participate in week-long leadership/art events. Through these experiences, I met many students who were just like me despite our differences in where we came from. Many of whom I have kept in contact with daily. Along the way, I met some of the most creative and influential people in my life. To this day they still impact and influence me as I journey through college. Most importantly, I am thankful to all the amazing family friends that have grown with my family and I in each duty station. Their welcoming hands and understanding of the military world really made it feel like home wherever we were.

Going to college, there were not as many military kids or students that understood my upbringing.

When I tried to explain that I went to a military Department of Defense Dependent School (DODDS), many of my colleagues thought I went to an actual military school where they asked if I wore a military uniform (the answer is no, I wore regular everyday clothes). It is even harder for others to grasp that I am a Mexican American student who studies in the United States, but has lived most of her life in South Korea and Germany even though she is not originally from there. Now that I am older, I no longer resent the military for taking my family and I to faraway destinations. In the end, the military became a part of my family through each and every duty station. My father has served his country for 25 years and is continuing to do so in Germany. Because of his passion for his job and dedication to his country, I am thankful to say that the military has been a big part of my life.

The moves and travels may have been hectic, but I would never change being a military brat for anything.