I'm A College Senior Who Feels Like A Freshman

I'm A Senior And I Feel Like A Freshman

I don't know if I'm ready for this

142

Going into your senior year is a massive blur, where your brain cannot comprehend reaching the final year of school.

And realizing not only is this year the senior year of college, but it's also potentially your last year of school...ever.

Get in those "first, last day of school," pictures, and bubble with the excitement of being the top of the food chain.

But you're gonna hit a point, an almost shocking point where you ask yourself, "what am I doing here?"

Who is letting me graduate college, and why?

And how on earth am I actually going to find a job that pertains to my major?

We go into college thinking we can study whatever we want, be whatever we want, and then reality hits one day, you're actually going to have to "be," that!

Weird.

In many ways, I feel like the same girl I was beginning my college years, I don't necessarily feel older or even better.

But in a couple months, I'm gonna have to be.

I won't be given a meal plan for food nearby, I won't live among peers and people my age, I won't have an apartment I won't have to pay rent for, and so on and so forth.

Are we ready to be done with school? YES!

Are we ready for the real world...ehh maybe some of us.

I think another reality check I've had is that to become the adult I want to be hasn't come with age, or which year of college I'm in, it doesn't just happen.

Reaching your twenties doesn't give you an automatic pass into adult living, it's not as easy as selecting a major can be.

Unfortunately, if you don't put forth the effort, you may even be that same freshman you came in as.

Growth requires changes, movement, replacing and adding to.

If it's solely a mindset or an idea of yours it'll never just come out the way in which you've deceived yourself in thinking it will.

Now reading this, it sounds pretty obvious, but yet we continue to do it.

And continue to assume things might just happen, eventually.

Sooner or later you'll realize later is now. Not that it's the end, and you HAVE to have everything figured out, but its a milestone. A big moment in life where a lot will change at once, independence will not be expected of you, a job isn't exactly an option, and money is something worth saving if you haven't done so already.

I'm a firm believer in change and believing anyone CAN change.

It can be terrifying, but I know we are all capable of it.

Of growing up, putting one foot in front of the other, putting your big girl/or boy pants on, applying yourself, getting out of the house and doing it.

Because you're a senior now, you're not the freshman you once were, and that's a good thing.