Dance Shapes Lives

How Growing Up A Dancer Helped Me

Why being a competition dancer while I was growing up helped me to become the person I am.

85
How Growing Up A Dancer Helped Me
Ashley Duke

"5-6-7-8." That countdown became my life for so many years as I danced my way through competitions and conventions. I was also the kid that could never hang out because of the infamous phrase, "sorry I have dance class." Dance taught me a lot about myself as a person and helped me to become more disciplined and refined.

Since I had to keep up with school and dance, I developed time management skills. These skills make me successful in my college career and allow me to be involved in multiple clubs and hold leadership positions. I am not only making the Dean's List every semester, I am also the Director of Academic Success for a sorority and I am on the executive board for Student's for St. Jude.

Dance also taught me how to be a part of a team environment. I was one small part of a large group of people that, although we had been dancing together for many years, had to learn to work together in different dances and play different roles. As a member of a dance team, your role changes dance to dance and whether or not you are a lead or a supporter, every role is important and you must work together.

Being at dance competitions every other weekend and hanging out with different types of people revealed to me how important diversity is for a community. Even in college, I see the beauty of all the different groups of people on my campus and how it makes it unique. I got to experience a multitude of cultures and learned how to respect them so I know how to act and react in college when meeting someone new and unique.

While I missed out on a lot because I grew up in a dance studio, I also learned a lot and became a better person than I would have been had I quit at a young age. I wouldn't be the person I am had I chosen a different hobby and I am thankful for the person dance made me.