Interpreting poetry until you become poetry
Books Lit

6 Highly Relatable Poems From Rupi Kaur's 'The Sun And Her Flowers'

Poetry is probably my favorite type of literature.

1124

Poetry is probably my favorite type of literature. You can interpret the lines, the pauses and the sentence structure any way you want to. You can see yourself, the author, someone you love or someone you used to love.

And those are exactly some of the things I saw in Rupi Kaur's "The Sun and Her Flowers." My own life was reflected in the poems, especially these six:

1. page 50 -the person i fell in love with was a mirage

"day by day
i realize everything i miss about you
was never there in the first place"

My interpretation of this poem came from a place of self-discovery.

The traits I missed about myself were never there, and I am growing. I am constantly changing.

2. page 64 -responsibility

"a lot of times
we are angry at other people
for not doing what
we should have done for ourselves"

Again, this one relates to my road to self-discovery.

As humans, we become dependent on others instead of being independent. Sometimes, we do this without even realizing it.

And most of our anger issues steam from having expectations that are too high. We expect a lot out of other people, but are we putting in the same effort we expect?

3. page 67 -focusing on the negative

"i hear a thousand kind words about me
and it makes no difference
yet i hear one insult
and all confidence shatters"

This one hit home. Since I am still in high school, and word of mouth is the most important thing to girls, it's especially relevant. Of course, we like to hear we look nice but don't actually believe it.

We assume that everyone is just being nice or that they feel obligated to be nice. But once someone says something mean, that's all we can think about. It doesn't matter who said it or in what context. We are those words, and nothing can change our minds.

4. page 167 -celebration

"the orange trees refused to blossom
unless we bloomed first
when we met
they wept tangerines
can't you tell
the earth has waited its whole life for this"

Mother Nature is in fact our mother. Mother knows best, and once we met, she celebrated by blooming for us as we bloomed for her.

5. page 182 -growth mechanism

"the right one does not
stand in your way
they make space for you
to step forward"

Being in a relationship is a constant growth mechanism. It involves constant change.

Find someone who allows you to grow as an individual and as a couple. They don't confine you to being the person you were a year ago. They encourage you to grow.

6. page 183 -stay golden

"when you are
full
and i am
full
we are two suns"

Being full is the most satisfying feeling. Being full of happiness, love and positivity is so beneficial to our lives.

We radiate good vibes, and that's what the world needs.