Is Groundhog Day All That It's Hyped Up To Be?

I wouldn't call this weather an early spring, but hopefully, it turns around!

20

Are we sure the Groundhog didn't see his shadow? Why are you reading about the Groundhog a month after Groundhog Day? Good question. You are reading about this famous Groundhog because if we are looking at the weather in Tallahassee especially, he probably did see his shadow!

Groundhog Day predicted an early spring this 2019 and I actually believed it at first. In February we were hitting highs in the '70s and almost even the 80's on some days. I thought to myself that this Groundhog theory worked up until March hit Tallahassee. The highs since we begin this beautiful month of March, have dropped! Our sunny and 75 degrees days quickly went to a chilly, windy, and rainy high of 50 degrees days. I wouldn't necessarily qualify 50 degrees as Spring, would you? Everywhere around the states seems to be chillier than past years at this time frame, so how accurate is this famous and legendary Groundhog?

Punxsutawney Phil's is the Groundhog famous for Groundhog Day. On February 2nd, every year it is his time to shine. No matter his history or accuracy we still continue to gather and celebrate in large crowds to witness his supposed wisdom.

If you don't already know the key to this fascinating historical day is whether or not he sees his shadow. If Phil does see his shadow that means an unfortunate six more weeks of winter. I suppose some people don't see it as unfortunate, but if you are looking forward to a sunny spring break as much as I am, then it is unfortunate. If Phil does not see his shadow than that Groundhog is happily calling for an early spring!

Once again, however, how accurate is the Groundhog? Punxsutawney Phil has been forecasting for over 120 years, so we should expect him to be talented and if not perfect at this job of his. Because hey, 120 years is definitely a lot of experience wouldn't you say? After that amount of experience, I'd believe in the little guy. The sad truth is, however, we should not place all bets on his accuracy.

According to Stormfax Almanac's data, Punxsutawney Phil's six-week predictions have only been correct about 39% of the time! 39% of the time? 39%, that is less than half! We have spent over 120 years watching and believing in a Groundhog, who is accurate less than half the percentage of the time. If you really let that sink in, we sound like a bunch of oddballs.

If this Groundhog is all that it's hyped up to be we can merely hope that this year it is accurate because spring break is just around the corner for us Seminoles!