20 Phrases You'll Know Only If You Grew Up In The Country

Some days you feel like the windshield and some days you feel like the bug.

209
W. Seth Landon

Where I come from, we use a lot of descriptive phrases in our everyday lives.

It's one of the many ways in which we add a little personality to what we say. Here are 20 phrases that you'll definitely know only if you grew up in the country.

1. I'm happier than a hot hog in a cool puddle of mud.

When things are going great and ain't nobody gonna steal your smile.

2. They look like the butter done slipped off their biscuit.

Something happened and they are really grumpy. Probably best to leave 'em alone for the time being.

3. That road's more crooked than a dead dog's tooth.

There are a lot of curves on that road so you better watch out!

4. Some days you feel like the windshield and some days you feel like the bug.

You have good days and bad days. Some days you're strong enough to handle it, other days you get a little squashed.

5. Their cornbread ain't done in the middle.

They are crazy.

6. They're having more fun than a tornado in a trailer park.

Pretty self-explanatory.

7. That dog ain't gonna hunt.

You better find another way because that ain't happenin'.

8. PTSD

Put The Shovel Down. Stop diggin' a hole and shut up.

9. I'm sweatin' like a sinner in church.

I'm sweating a lot.

10. Don't get your panties in a twist.

Don't get ruffled about it. It'll work out, so don't worry.

11. Geet?

Translation: Did you eat? (Trying saying it out loud with a country accent).

12. They're deader than a door-nail.

They're extremely boring.

13. Too big for his britches.

Uptight, taking yourself too seriously.

14. The Good Lord willing and the creek down rise.

I'll do it unless there is a natural disaster or God intervenes.

15. They're slower than molasses in the winter time.

They are taking forever, moving extremely slowly.

16. Were you raised in a barn?

Why are you leaving a mess behind or making a mess?

17. Quit crying or I'll give you something to cry about.

We don't waste tears in the south.

18. Just nuke it.

Put it in the microwave and heat it up.

19. You done dried the blanket and caught it on fire.

You just put your foot in your mouth in a big way and there ain't no way out now.

20. Don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya.

Good riddance.

Well, there you go. If you're not from around here then maybe this article will help you to understand some more of what you hear and if you are from around here then maybe this article helped you to reminisce about the phrases you grew up hearing!

Either way, feel free to comment about the ones you're familiar with and any country phrases of your own!