Green Day's "Revolution Radio" Will Transport You Back to Classic 90's Punk

Don't be an "American Idiot" - you've got to check out this album.

12
Green Day

"Revolution Radio" is Green Day’s 12th and most recent studio album. This was the group’s first album since their 1992 “Kerplunk” that was created and released without a label. It was released on Oct. 7th and in true Green Day-style hopes to give insight on some of today’s biggest hot topics and current issues. 2016 marks the group’s 26th year playing together to form one of the most famous punk groups of all time.

I have had a strong love for Green Day since I was 11 years old and found out my parents owned all of their CD's. I immediately downloaded them to my MP3 Player (yeah, I was too poor for an iPod) and listened to them nonstop. I stayed an up-to-date Green Day fan until the release after the failed release of their album trio, “¡Uno!”, “¡Dos!” and “¡Tre!” in 2012 .

But I am here to tell you that Green Day is back and better than ever with this album.

When the opening song, “Somewhere Now” begins, it does not give you the classic Green Day non-apologetic punk sound. It has the classic rock-ballad undertones that compare to that of Aerosmith’s “Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” and Guns N’ Roses’ “Sweet Child O’ Mine”. However, the song quickly changes pace, and it seems as if the band gets the memo that they are, indeed, a famous punk band and not an 80’s hair metal ballad cover band.

The second song on the album, “Bang Bang,” was the first song released as a single off this new album. The song itself has more of the original Green Day-sound that is present in their earlier, best-selling albums such as American Idiot and Dookie. The lyrics are from the perspective of a mass-shooter living in the social media-fueled world that we do. This subject matter is proof to me that Green Day have not changed as much as they seem. They still fill their songs with not-so-obvious political affiliation disguised by heavy punk beats and Armstrong’s signature “screw you”-attitude present while singing. This song offers a controversially satirical insight into the mind of a criminal.

Another notable song on the album is “Youngblood,” which is the only song on the album that is marked with an explicit content warning. This is one of the unconventional love songs that Green Day does so well. The song details a love story between two wild, reckless and broken people struggling to survive in their ordinary, everyday lives.

The album is closed out with a soft, soothing song entitled “Ordinary World.” This is a song that details the yearning for a memorable legacy to be left behind. Green Day has taken a popular source of confusion and strife that many people experience and has turned it into a beautiful and meaningful piece that gives insight into the mind of an aging rock star.

There can be no doubt that the group was ready for a comeback with the release of this album. “Revolution Radio” was truly a breath of fresh air for Green Day fans.