Greek Life Isn't Meant To Be A Cliche

Greek Life Isn't Meant To Be A Cliche

We join these organizations to become a part of something larger than us.

28
Greek Life Isn't Meant To Be A Cliche
Sabrina Seiler

Greek life is often seen by outsiders as people paying for friends because they can't seem to get any on their own. We are often cliched as students who pay for people to hang out with us, wear shirts three sizes too big, judge everybody, have eating disorders because we all have to be skinny and look like models, aren't smart, our parents pay for everything, and the list goes on and on. But what people don't realize is that Greek life isn't meant to be any of these cliches. In fact, most of the time the students in these organizations are the exact opposite.

Speaking personally, I have many friends outside of my Greek organization. Whether they be students in other Greek organizations, other clubs, sports, or maybe not even part of anything at all. I am friends with such a diverse group of people because I'm not selective or judgmental of anybody, and I know this applies to most of the women in my sorority as well. As for the giant shirts, I do wear t-shirts larger than my original size, that is true. But go ahead and hate on that style all you want, because i'm comfy and that's all that matters to me!

I'm also going to be straight forward and say that I don't have a very skinny body type (well, I'm in shape if you consider round a shape). But, I am comfortable in my own skin and that’s something every woman deserves to feel. I don't worry about what I'm eating because honestly, I love food and I'm not afraid to admit that. I live for the 20 piece nugget meal at McDonald's! And if there is anyone out there reading this that's in a sorority and struggling with an eating disorder, that's okay. You aren’t defined by it and you shouldn’t be made into a cliche either. It isn’t something to joke about. Body shaming, whether in regards to “skinny” or “fat” shouldn't be tolerated... but that’s a subject for another day.

In regards to my smarts, that's one of the few things about myself that I do like. I manage two jobs, my sorority plus two other organizations (all of which I hold an officer position in), and community service while upholding a 3.8 GPA. I have made Dean's list every semester (except for when I'm making President’s list instead). In fact, my Greek organization upholds one of the highest cumulative GPAs on campus out of multiple other clubs, organizations, and sports. We are strong, smart, and proud!

And yeah, maybe my parents do pay for most everything I have. They pay for my college, my housing, my car, my phone bill, and even give me cash on the side sometimes. But I’m not ashamed of that. I'm actually very blessed that I'm lucky enough to have parents that support me in the ways they do. But I still work and pay bills and know the value of a dollar. Actually, many of the women in my sorority do financially support themselves and pay for their own college. I even have a sister that supports herself AND her daughter all the while in numerous organizations, holding an officer position in our sorority and working multiple jobs. So go talk to her about why "being in a sorority means your parents pay for everything", because you will be sadly mistaken.

There are plenty of other cliches made about Greek life that I could prove wrong, but I'll stop there. What I'm trying to get at is that Greek life doesn't exist to uphold a bunch of cliches. Although some of what is said could apply to few, we don't join these organizations to get ridiculed and grouped together. We join these organizations to become a part of something larger than us. To stand by individuals who believe in the same things we do and who encourage each other to become the best versions of themselves every day. We are strong individually, but even stronger together. We really do make “sisters for life,” a bond that you really can't find anywhere else and a bond that also helps with networking. Greek life exists for individuals, such as myself, to find their place on campus among a larger group of individuals that uphold the standards you have for yourself all the while strengthening those same values. And yeah, we also know how to party! But don't let that side fool you, there's a lot more hiding underneath that surface.

Through my sorority I have learned to be confident and to always trust myself above all else. I have learned to confide in my strengths and lean on others where I am weak. I have learned to be courageous enough to stand tall for what others might stand against and to be the voice for those who might not have one. I have learned to always be loyal to those who are loyal to you and the biggest lesson I've learned is love yourself. All of this coming from a girl who struggled with finding herself up until college and who never believed she could truly amount to much or be seen as "beautiful." My sorority as instilled a faith in myself I wouldn't have gotten anywhere else.

So before you fall into believing Greek life is exactly what you see in movies and read about in books, remember that there's always a lot more happening on the inside than you can actually tell from being on the outside. And to my fellow girls in pearls, XI TIL I DIE! (FFTO)