Why Its Great To Be A Kid At Heart

Why Its Great To Be A Kid At Heart

Have you ever missed being a kid?

4
Why Its Great To Be A Kid At Heart
Hassan Ammar

I miss the days when I could just be. There were no worries, no stress, nothing stood in my way because I simply wouldn't let it. The days of childhood were the ones of true freedom; though there were rules, there was no sense of reality. Being in that innocent state where the world seemed like a perfect place was quite euphoric. I find that the older I get, the more I miss being a kid.

It feels like only yesterday when I was able to live each day carelessly, while under the provisions of my parents. There were no obligations to drive or have a job. No stress, anxiety, or long to-do lists came in regular waves. Expectations were only to my parents' standards, not the rest of the world. What I ate didn't matter, as long as it tasted good. How I dressed or talked didn't define me. Family drama wasn't known to me. I was unaware of the hunger for money.

Life as a kid was easy and relaxed, with little responsibilities and minuscule demands. It's like one day I woke up and suddenly the effortless world was gone. My childhood went by in a blink of an eye, and now I can only remember what it was like to be in that unmindful state. I yearn for the lack of pressure that a child has. I wish for the secure nature of being myself without the worries of what people think. I miss the days when my thoughts were completely pure and the existence of evil was unknown.

Most children spend so much time desiring to grow up, they don't care to embrace every moment of their beautiful youth. The times where kids get to play for hours, disconnect from real life, use their imagination to full capacity, or even spend time doing nothing, doesn't last forever. I never wanted to grow up, I fought it with every bone in my body, but soon realized how impossible it was. Although I am a kid at heart, I eventually saw how childhood comes to an end and will never cease to exist again.

When I really think about my younger years, it puts into perspective how great it was to be a kid. I think that adults are burdened by so much that its hard for them to recall what real freedom felt like. The way for an adult to escape is to take the time to relax and try to let go of everything that weighs on their shoulders. Just because we grow older doesn't mean we should have to lose our peace or childlike joy.

Since I am older and having to handle more and more responsibilities, a job, driving myself places and basically learning how to be an adult, the way I cope is by holding onto my childhood liberties and finding a way to still incorporate them in my life. I try not to allow too much stress consume me. I make time to relax and give myself a break from the everyday demands. I still love to curl up with a good book just like I did as a kid. Sometimes I treat myself to a tasty dessert. I try to be authentic in everything I do. It's these worry-free things that make a kid at heart. It's letting go and allowing the soul to rest, that grants the childlike happiness.

I think that as people grow older they get so caught up in the world that they forget to let go and keep their inner happiness. Wouldn't it be nice to have times of no worries? Wouldn't it be great to walk in a kid's shoes again even for just a moment? When letting the demands go the stress just sifts from the body, gaining a clear mind accompanied by deep breaths of peace, relishing in a happy place where at last it feels completely free, it is an alleviation. The life of a child is a true solace. Who says adults shouldn't be allowed to feel the liberation again? There is never an age where being a kid at heart doesn't exist.