If Our Grandparents Are Laughing During This Quarantine, Us Millennials Can Too

They are making the best of this situation, like learning how to use FaceTime.

26
https://unsplash.com/photos/BBjW2qnIixc

It's no secret that our grandparents fall within the "high-risk" category for this virus. Many of them are in even greater isolation than us millennials and people working in assisted living facilities have to take extra precaution during their work hours. For those who live close to your grandparents, those who are used to seeing them every weekend or month, I can only imagine how hard this is. But here is what I have noticed, this quarantine is actually providing me with more opportunities to talk to my grandparents. Before I would talk to them roughly once a month, now I'm in contact with them practically every day.

Not only are all my grandparents in great spirits, but they are making the most out of this situation. Aside from the fact they are in isolation, they seem to be thriving. Here is a list of X things they have said to me during the COVID-19 outbreak to remind us to always look on the positive side of things.

1. "Look at my hair, I am learning how to do it myself."

One of my grandmothers has been getting her hair done at the salon every two weeks for as long as any of her grandchildren and children can remember. Looking back, almost all of my visits with her involved going to the salon for either her hair or nails. Now, at the young age of 82, she is finally mastering how to style her own hair.

2. "I'm losing all this weight, it's great."

That's a nice way to look at this situation. We may be stuck at home, but there are great exercises you can do in your house. Do not let your surroundings limit you. If my 80+ year-old grandmother can see the silver lining, so can you.

3. "Why haven't we been FaceTiming before?"

Granted, the camera was pointing away from her for most of the call, but she is learning and that is what matters. By the end of this, our grandparents are going to be so tech savvy we may have new Instagram followers.

4. "I love seeing the men on the news, they are a mess just like women."

Ah yes, leave it to an outbreak to be the great equalizer among television news anchors. My grandmother is getting a kick out of the fact that anchors are people too and have gray hair just like them.

5. "We aren't staying 6 feet apart."

I asked her how she and my grandfather were doing, to which she responds about her lack of social distancing. I don't know if the rules apply with your husband but I appreciate the honesty.

6. "You know me, do you actually think I'm waking up at 6 in the morning to go to the grocery store?"

Apparently, expecting my grandmother to go to the senior citizen grocery shopping hours is a disgrace? Thankfully she has five sons who are making sure neither she nor my grandfather go hungry.

7. "I go to read a book on my iPad and I end up playing a game." 

Honestly, same though. If our grandparents are even procrastinating, I think this gives all of us struggling college students an out.

8. "Look at me, don't I look cute?"

My other grandmother, who lives in Florida has a different mindset during the quarantine. She gets dressed in a cute outfit every morning, even though she knows she is going to sit at home all day. Today it was purple on purple with some bracelets. Getting dressed is always a good way to start your day, instead of sitting around in pajamas for 24 hours straight, although I have done that too.

9. "Of course I had to watch 'Tiger King' until 6:30 in the morning."

Welcome to the wonderful world of Netflix binging! My grandmother was the latest person to inform me I need to watch Tiger King. Of course, she then proceeded to tell me she's actually been to Big Cat Rescue and met the infamous Carol Baskin. Only my grandmother could have this type of connection.

10. "I'm loving this, I am watching so much tv."

Obviously I asked my grandmother how she was doing during the quarantine and if she was holding up. Apparently, she has no complaints.

11. "There are times I don't leave my house for days at a time, I just don't like being told what I can and cannot do."

Isn't this a mood? It is nice to know that even our grandparents understand the struggle. I am all for staying inside, but even I am reaching my limit.

12. "I left the cardboard and all the stuff outside in the hot sun and I still wouldn't touch it. I used the bottom of my shoe."

We all need to take the precaution my grandmother is doing. We need to be contentious about what we are touching and how we are cleaning simply things.

13. "I was reading a v-log"

This literally made me laugh out loud. I had to respond "Do you mean a vlog?" Yes, she meant a vlog and is watching plenty of them.

I understand it can be difficult to be isolated from family and friends. I am sure many of us a going stir crazy and the days and weeks are starting to blend together. But instead of being negative and dwelling on what we can't do, try to see the positive side of things. If our grandparents can, we can too.