My Grandma Was My Best Friend

My Grandma Was My Favorite Person

I miss her everyday.

104
My Grandma Was My Favorite Person
Photo by Edu Carvalho from Pexels

There was just something special about her. She was full of love and happiness, she radiated with positive energy constantly. If you looked up Grandma in a dictionary, you'd see her face.

Grandma's house was notorious for having cookies and all the good snacks. If I was hungry at home, it would be the “wait for dinner" talk. At Grandma's, that wasn't the case. She was lenient and let me eat cookies and chips at two o'clock.

She was so pure, she did not have a bone of malice or an ounce of negativity in her body. My cousin and I used to make her sit through talent shows, dance routines, and many games of house, and she did it with a smile. We once had a “sing-off," neither of us can even remotely sing, but we were both sure we were better than the other one. So we belted our hearts out, in multiple songs, and instead of wanting to rip her ears off, Grandma would just sit there smiling.

I miss the feeling of warmth I used to feel every time I talked to her. Some days it's still so weird to process the fact that she is gone. When other people talk about their Grandmas, I often relive these memories and catch myself speaking in the present tense because I'm still not used to live without you.

I can still feel you, in the sun shining on my skin, on the wing blowing against my hands, on the rain falling on my head. I know you're there and I know you're with me, but I miss being able to see you. I miss being able to hear you. I think that's the thing I miss the most.

Your voice always provided me with such comfort and reassurance, it seemed that you always had the ability to mask any doubt you had. I was auditioning for a part in the play, that you and I both knew I was unqualified for: “Don't stress about it, they'll love you, Mar you'll do amazing, okay, call me after."

It's weird having to live my life knowing my biggest supporter is gone, I don't think anyone could ever live up to the spot you had in my heart. It's safe to say you were my person. I think that was obvious to everyone though. The countless hours spent forcing you to be in my music videos, or the times I dragged you with me to the hair salon, the times you would dose off on my shoulder. I miss it all. I miss you.

I hope I'm making you proud. I hope you've seen all that I've accomplished. To my beautiful Grandma, thank you for loving me unconditionally all these years, you are the reason I am the individual I am today.