My Love Hate Relationship With The Grammys

My Love Hate Relationship With The Grammys This Year

One of music's biggest nights was last weekend, and I have a few things to say about it all.

338
https://www.instagram.com/mileycyrus/?hl=en

Ah the Grammys. I'm someone who is always super into award shows and celebrities so I had been looking forward to this night for a while. Especially since Shawn Mendes, one of my absolute favorites, was nominated for his first two Grammys and was performing. On the other hand, award shows frustrate me to no end. You never know which way they are gonna go, so it makes for a very interesting and stressful night.

Going into the start of the show, I was already a little disappointed with how the night was going. For starters, I think it is pretty ridiculous that Taylor Swift was only nominated for one Grammy this year. No Album of the Year nomination? Seriously? I'm definitely a little biased, but reputation killed it. To top it off, Taylor didn't even win her only nomination for Best Pop Vocal Album. Don't get me wrong, I love Ariana and am super happy that she won her first Grammy… but I don't necessarily think sweetener deserved that award. Speaking of Ariana though, I applaud her for not attending the Grammys this year because they wouldn't let her perform what she wanted and then lied about what happened. Thank you, next.

I also kind of hate the Grammys for getting my hopes up and making me think that Shawn Mendes was going to win his first Grammy. When they brought John Mayer out to help present Song of the Year, I really thought that it might be happening on purpose because he is one of Shawn's good friends and a huge mentor to him. But nope. I'll probably be upset about that forever. Going back to reasons why I love the Grammys though… the performances. Shawn starting his song In My Blood on the piano was angelic. Not to mention I had to stop myself from crying when he brought Miley Cyrus out and they had one of the best performances I have ever seen. It was like who am I more jealous of, Miley or Shawn? I am a country music girl, so I also really enjoyed Dan and Shay's and Kacey Musgraves' performances. Sometimes, in my opinion, simple is better.

One thing that I've known for a while but the Grammys emphasized for me, is that Alicia Keys is so underrated. She is the actual definition of perfection. She has a natural beauty and confidence, and gives off such a chill and carefree vibe. On top of that, her talent is actually insane. When she played two pianos and sang so many different genres of songs flawlessly, I just really wished I could be her. She made watching the Grammys so much more enjoyable. Sometime during the night, Alicia casually put it out there that she has won 15 Grammys. No big deal.

The whole point of the Grammys is to recognize artists for their achievements, which I haven't even talked a lot about. Even just being nominated for a Grammy is a huge achievement and honor, so everyone there deserves some love for that. I was so excited that Dua Lipa won Best New Artist because she has been killing it lately and she was genuinely so surprised and happy. I also love that Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper won a Grammy for Shallow because to me, that is like fulfilling some type of alternate ending to A Star is Born. That song is incredible. I really wish they could've performed it together at the Grammys, I actually think I would have cried. When Kacey Musgraves won Album of the Year, I was pretty surprised but so happy for her. She has been working so hard for so many years, and I'm glad she's finally getting the recognition she deserves. And she won three other Grammys to top it off.

As much as I complain about the Grammys, I know that I will be back watching it every year because of my love for music.