11 Items That Should Be On Your Ultimate Graduation Checklist

Here's what you need to do to prepare for graduation.

150
Baim Hanif

You have made it to the finish line, and you couldn’t be prouder. You have earned your degree, and now you’re waiting to walk, move out, and start the next phase of your life. It’s an exciting time that will fly by if you’re not careful, leaving you to ask, “Did I make the most out of my graduation?”

Similar to the anxiety felt when packing too quickly for a long flight that leaves too soon, you might get angsty during your graduation lap. Questions will flood your mind, leaving you unsure and frustrated. Fortunately, the following is a checklist of things you should do near, during, or directly after you graduate to ensure you’ve done it right!

From Adulting to Adult

The morning after graduation doesn’t feel much different. Aside from residual feelings of pride, accomplishment, and exhaustion, you are still the same you. By the time we graduate, most of us are ready for the next step in life – or at least ready to be more than a college student. Graduation means you’re done being a student, but it’s up to you to find the next big thing.

Get a Job/Internship

You may be a walking definition of senioritis, and graduation means it’s time to celebrate. But graduation comes, goes, and next thing you know you’re living at home without a job. Why? Because you forgot to plan for post-graduation while worrying about saying goodbye to everyone. Successful students land jobs or internships before graduation even occurs so the transition is smooth. It’s never to early to pursue your post-graduation future.

Take Walking Seriously – Don’t Be Hungover

Walking is a long, painstaking ceremony that has been rendered unnecessary by our ability to simply graduate digitally. I didn’t want to walk, and I didn’t know many people that did. Looking back, I wish I had the maturity to understand its importance and take it seriously. Instead, I had to go to one more party and look like Death’s sickly cousin during a beautiful rite of passage… in front of my family. Walk for graduation, enjoy the 4 hours celebrating your accomplishments, and don’t be hungover.

Pack If You’re Moving

College students are terrible packers. Relying on excuses like “I don’t have that much stuff”, or “I’ll pack the night before” is every students’ go-to that belies their collegiate accomplishments. A) You have no idea how much stuff you actually possess by graduation. B) There is no way you can pack in one night, much less pack properly. Do yourself a favor and start the packing process a week before.

Utilize Campus Resources

You may not realize it (if you are passionate student, then you do), but being a college student entitles you to valuable campus resources that prepare you for success. Many students go through their college career without using these valuable resources or are unaware of their existence. Career planning, tutoring, seminars, academic support, and other assistance programs are offered as part of your college experience. They can help you plan for graduation, move, and find a job.

What Haven’t You Done

Graduation is your point-of-no-return sign. It’s your last days as a student, and they always sneak up on you. Suddenly, all of the things you had plenty of time to do – visit a point of interest, support a less-known school team or group, partake in a school function, streak across campus, etc. – remain undone. Now you’re scrambling to knock at least one or two off the list in between your graduation plans. Write what you want to do down and make them happen before you leave campus as a graduate.

Teacher/Academic Advisor Recommendation

Possibly one of the most important things you can do while preparing to graduate is reach out to your teachers and academic advisors. Thank them for their help, exchange contact information, explain your goals for the future, and ask for a recommendation. When you graduate, you may be lacking real-life experience and, therefore, recommendations that will qualify you for a job. Earning their support and their availability as a reference will elevate your resume and practically guarantee you an opening interview.

Break up/Make a Plan with Your Significant Other

Following one of the most important tips is one of the silliest – don’t forget about the person you’ve been dating! As ridiculous as it sounds, your overall decision-making paradigm will change as you near graduation, and it may affect your relationship. They were the person you were going to spend your life with, but you are graduating and they have another year of college – putting a damper on your relationship goals. Break up or stay together; just make sure you’re both on the same page.

Thank Your Family

They have raised you, cared for you, supported you, and paid for you. The least you can do is think of them and make your graduation special for them as well. It’s easy for us to be selfish and self-absorbed during this moment, but we only got there thanks to their substantial help. Do something special with them like take them to dinner, get them a gift, or simply write a letter detailing your love and gratitude. Your family is important, and this is a prime opportunity to show your appreciation.

Take Graduation Pictures without the Crowds

Don’t wait for the day before, of, or after graduation to take pictures. It is a crowded hot mess of people trying to capture unique, personal moments all at once. Instead, use the noggin that got you through college and find a better time to take pictures. Figure out which locations you want pictures at and find a date a week before or after graduation to take pictures. That way you aren’t being hustled by other families capturing their kid’s moment and can attempt that winning smile you’ve practiced for hours.

Send out Graduation Cards

This is a time of celebration! Graduating is reward in itself… and a time to be rewarded by family as well. Not everyone can be there to see you walk, but they can congratulate you with some money or a gift. All you have to do is send out some cards that say, “Just a heads up, I’m graduating”, and they will know what’s up. Uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins, and close family friends are excited that you earned your degree, so let them celebrate by sending you a gift.