10 Tips To Take Charge And Make Sure You're Graduating On Time

Don't let yourself fall victim to the title of "Super Senior" if you can avoid it.

41
Wikimedia

At most colleges, and at mine in particular people struggle to plan their classes out for the long term. This often results in being stuck at your college for an extra semester, two, or at RIC maybe 6 semesters. As frustrating as it is, sitting down in your first semester with your advisor to get a list of all the classes you have to take and what their prerequisites are will pay off in the long run.

If you're past your freshman year, even well past these tips can still help! Graduating on time (or early) should be one of your top priorities unless money is of no issue, and if that is the case, I have some nasty debt if you'd like to help. For the rest of us who need to graduate on time to save money spent on tuition and room & board, and start earning money at a job graduating on time is so important.

1. Print out your major and gen ed requirements

Part of this is making sure you look at the requirements for your specific start year at that school. Programs change pretty frequently, especially at RIC, so making sure you are looking at the right requirements for your entry year is important.

That means if you came to RIC in 2015, look at the course requirements starting in 2015, even if you changed your major to what you are currently doing in 2016.

2. Courses that are needed as prerequisites should be taken ASAP

There are prerequisites in every major, usually math classes and some of your freshman classes, like at RIC first-year writing (FYW) and first-year seminar (FYS) that are required before you can start taking certain major classes. These classes you should plan to take in your first 3 semesters.

You can figure out which of your classes are prerequisites by looking at the requirements of your higher level classes. If you are confused with this your advisor will be able to explain it.

3. Make sure to take the minimum credit hours a semester

Some people get confused because 12 credits will classify you as a full-time student, but that will not keep you on track for graduation. At RIC you need to take at least 15 credits a semester (on average) to graduate in 4 years in most programs.

If you do 12 one semester, you need to do 18 another semester to make up for it, and if you fail one of those classes of your 12 credits you'll have to do 18 credits for 2 semesters or take a summer class or two. To avoid getting a busy semester out of the blue you should aim to take 15-18 credits a semester.

4. If you fail a class and have to take it again, do it over the summer if possible

As scary as summer or early spring classes can be because they go so quickly, it is a good way to have the opportunity to focus on just that class for a couple weeks. Just make sure you don't have a vacation scheduled during the class.

Not only is it your only focus, but it is likely your professor's only class, and they will be available to help you more if needed. By taking it out of normal semester time you won't have to push yourself with 18 credits in another semester.

5. To avoid failing or hating a class, look up professors on Rate My Professor before picking classes

As registration day gets closer, look at the options for the classes you plan to take. The easiest place to look in my opinion (for RIC students) is to look at the Course Bulletin for the upcoming semester. You can find this by searching "Spring or Fall or Summer *year* course Bulletin" for example Fall 2018 Course Bulletin.

Once you find your classes, copy and paste the professors' names into Rate My Professor. Find the teacher and time that works for you, and write down a second choice in case your first choice fills or doesn't work with another class schedule.

Once you have gone through this for every class print out an empty schedule from google images, and fill in when your classes should be to see if you are okay with it, if not rework it with your second options!

6. Be prepared to enroll in classes once your enrollment appointment time opens

Don't let improper preparation ruin your next semester. The first week of classes in each semester look up when registration for the next semester starts (I know it seems early but it comes quick!). Then put a reminder in your phone or planner a week or two in advance to select the times and professors you will take for the classes you pre-planned to take.

Add the classes you want to your shopping cart, and check your appointment time, which can be found once you are logged onto your MyRIC, by selecting "Term Information" under "enrollment" on the left side. Then click "view my enrollment dates" and then choose the right semester. Once you do, it will give you the date and time you can begin registering for classes for next semester. Then set an alarm or reminder on your phone to enroll in the classes in your cart at that time!

7. Check what semesters your classes are available

Not every class is offered every semester, and some are vital to graduating on time. Make sure to look in your course outline what semesters the class is available. Then plan to take them when needed, and if possible early so that if something goes wrong, or you do poorly you have another chance to take it.

8. Make sure any high school or previous college credits are submitted to records

If you took AP Courses or courses through or at another college/university make sure to have that submitted to records. To do so, call your previous institutions and ask them to have it sent over to our records department.

You can check your MyRIC to see if they have been transferred by looking under Student Center and click "My Academics" then click "view my transfer credit report". There it will list what RIC has received as your transfer credits, and will explain what class at RIC it is considered.

9. If you have to take "Connected Courses" (Language 1 & 2) take in the fall and spring

If you need to take classes that are connected, like French 1 and French 2, or Bio 1 and then a second bio, take them as close together as possible. That way what you learned in the first class is fresher in your mind and will help you do better in your second class. Other people are also likely to do this, so it may help you by having some of the same classmates in your second class that you can study with or ask for help!

10. Don't be afraid to ask for help

If you have questions, whatever they may be, ask! Ask your professors, your advisor, and your fellow classmates (however, be cautious of what others say because they could be wrong). Even if they cannot fully answer your questions they will likely know who you should ask for a better answer.