Is Grad School A Waste Of Money?
Graduate

So, Grad School. A Waste Of Money?

Is earning a master's degree in your field worth the extra debt in the long run?

194
So, Grad School. A Waste Of Money?

As my undergraduate experience is coming to a close next semester, I am looking into more options to better myself as many other students are. I've done a lot of research on attending graduate school as well as chatted with many professors. However, some of the information has only been discouraging. Not only does it cost a pretty penny to attend, it also costs a lot to apply to many programs, not knowing which one you'll be accepted to. In addition tests such as a GMAT, GRE, etc. cost to even take in the first place and if your score is not high enough, you'll have to pay again!

On the other hand, school is an investment in your future. (Unless you become a professional student). So grad school is spending money in the beginning to make more in the end, right? Not always. This makes it an even harder decision. Though you may stand out better than other applicants and it might help you get an interview, it doesn't guarantee an increased salary.

How do you even know it is helpful in the particular field that you want to go into? Though some industries basically require applicants to have a higher degree nowadays, some do not have any information on whether additional education would be beneficial or not. However, with bachelor's degrees becoming more common and easier to obtain, having a master's or higher couldn't hurt overall.

Another major question is "when is the right time to attend grad school?". Though is not a right or wrong answer to it, many professors and students that I have questioned on the subject either were happy that they worked their first before attending or wish that they more real experience. Taking time to work before going back to school helps you apply what you are learning into real-world situations better according to those I've talked to.

Knowing what to do after your undergrad can be very stressful more many, including me. Everyone's situation is different and there is no incorrect way to do life. Grad school is a great option for many and is becoming more and more common. However, understanding your options and making a pros-and-cons list (these are my life) will help make that decision clear and one that you won't regret!