As We Say Goodbye To Wishes

As We Say Goodbye To Wishes

"The best part is, you'll never run out of wishes."

460
As We Say Goodbye To Wishes
Flickr

A sea of strangers gather closely, patiently waiting in their collective packs. The crowded street glimmers with the warmth of the lampposts, leading its way to the purple haze. It stands tall, built with pride at the edge of Main St., U.S.A. Strangers become family as we run to the center, looking back with laughter as we weave in and out of the crowds. We reach the soft perfume of barbecue spooling out of Casey's Corner and settle in our places. "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, in just 5 minutes we will present our nighttime fireworks spectacular Wishes: A Magical Gathering of Disney Dreams," a man proudly announces as we drop our bags.

For some of us, Wishes is much more than just any old firework display. It's our motivation to get through a rainy day. Our way to remind us that our hopes and dreams will come true, "if we believe in them with all of our heart." I'll never forget the first time I watched Wishes as a Walt Disney World cast member. I felt a sense of connection and pride that in that moment, this is where I was meant to be.

A slight silence takes over the twinkling kingdom at its most anticipated hour. Push carts filled with Mickey shaped pretzels surround us. Princesses cling to their dad's shoulders as light sabers wave in the air. Suddenly, the lights drop. A heavenly sound of wonder fills our world. Cinderella's Castle flickers its purple, as Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom proudly presents Wishes, for the very last time.

"When stars are born, they present a gift of two. One of them is this, they have the power to make a wish come true". A simple white flare arches its way above the castle. I grasp my best friends' hands tightly. A slight puddle emerges in the corner of my eye. We giggle, queuing the bursts of light to come. "I wish, we'd never have to grow up, off to Neverland!" we shout in unison as the navy sky twinkles green. We cusp our hands close to our heart and bat our eyes as they fill with magic.

"It's a 12-minute escape, yet a singular moment, when I forget about all of the responsibilities and insecurities of my everyday life," Kenzi Gloudemans, former attractions cast member commemorates."Wishes is a small burst of color in a sometimes seemingly gray world".

When days got tough and the path to our dreams felt almost impossible, Wishes was there to encourage us. It's that little something to believe in, that push to move forward and not let anything get in our way. Wishes reminds us that life begins outside of our comfort zone and that "any wish is possible, all it takes is a little courage to set it free."

"Wishes taught me that there's no such thing as dreaming too big," Cameron Grubisich, former Disney lifeguard shares. "It reminds me that if I put my mind to something, that there's no possible way I won't achieve it. Also it means that no matter what, you'll never run out of wishes." He smirks, referencing the show.

It's believing in the unexpected, achieving what was said to be unachievable. It's wishing on stars and putting those wishes to their truest test. It's watching flashes of blue fly over our heads, as we hear choirs of children belting "just believe." It's more than that. It's the memories and stories told that end their most magical moments here. Moments that we will cherish forever.

"Wishes is meeting my best friends, falling in love for the first time, tired feet but happy hearts," former Fairy Godmother In-Training, Katie Toomb explains. "Wishes is the bookmark at the end of one kind of a childhood, but also the beginning of a new chapter that I can be proud of."

The kingdom flares with color one last time. Muttering tourists stand in a daze, captivated by the magic. They push their strollers from their parked position through the bustling Main Street. We look to each other as the crowd disperses, teary eyed and heavy hearted. I do the only thing I know to lighten moment of closers. I turned to my best friends, close my eyes tightly, clench my fits as I twirl, "wishes, dream a dream, wishes set 'em free," I sing along to exit music.

We let out a laugh and muddle into the sea of families and friends who we've shared all too many moments with. Sweet smells of candy float though the air. We are quiet, because we know this chapter has closed.

Thirteen years full of stories ending with Wishes: A Magical Gathering of Disney Dreams. Thirteen years of believing and dreaming as friendships bloom, bonds straighten, coworkers form into families, passing down these moments from one college program group to the next.

Main Street becomes airy as the crowd bails out. We are left with the fresh pavement, marked by the tracks of the street car. We dance along to the Up music, replacing the excited voices echoed by today's adventures. The bakery flickers its lights as we twirl our way down with just the remaining photo-pass cast members, patiently waiting to pack their tripods.

We look back over our shoulders, passing the warmly light Emporium sign. We breathe in the essences of our kingdom, locking eyes with the castle as it fades into our peripheral. We lace our fingers together, forming a chain as we pass by Town Square. The kingdom is changing, but the memories we've shared here will live on forever.

As we say goodbye to Wishes, we are excited for what's to come, but we will never forget just exactly what "a little wishing can do."