my future homeowners

8 Things To Know For The Future Owners Of My Old Home

As cheesy as it is, a home is where the heart is.

321
Vanessa Patel

My home has created my personality. My family who I share a space with, my friends who come over to watch movies with, and my warm and bright bedroom reflect who I am today and who I want to be tomorrow. This house was kind to all of us. It is the backdrop for most of our important memories. But now it's time for us to go. It gave us a space to share our greatest laughs. My hope for you, whoever you are, is that you make this house your own with the help of some tips from the girl who lived within these walls.

1. Socks, socks, and socks

Winter's can get cold and the only thing to keep your feet cozy and warm is fuzzy socks.

Turning the heat up will not make the floor warmer, and only so many rugs can fill the floor. Also, socks will help you stay quiet when you sneak into the kitchen for a late night cookie dough fix! Most of the home is made up of wood flooring, so socks will be your best friend and go-to.

2. The best hiding spot is....

hide

As you may now know, the house is big enough to play hide and seek. Growing up, when we had friends come over my sister and I would always hide in the same spot because they could never find us.

In the basement, there are double doors that hold the sounds system, but beyond that is a spot underneath the staircase. Hands-down, best hiding spot in the whole house!

3. Watch out!

animals

The backyard of your new home is also home to many creatures! When landscaping you should be on the lookout for deer, porcupines, bunnies, turtles, birds, and more! Homeowner neighbors and furry friend neighbors are all alike, treat them with respect and be mindful of their space.

4. Cleaning

cleaning

Cleaning is going to be a hassle but I have tips to make your life easier! If you are going to be entertaining and have time start cleaning a day or two in advance. First, begin with the basement and get your vacuum ready, start making your rounds from the outside in. Second, start polishing the floors and dusting.

Moreover, picking up toys and clothes can be a family activity and assign each member a job to help you. Next, you should clean the bathrooms in one day, this will make your life so much easier so you don't have to get all the materials out again and again. Lastly, spray or use plug-in air fresheners and enjoy your time with friends and family!

5. Sunday brunch

The porch overlooks the backyard and a forest of trees that have a private pond so it is inevitably the best place to enjoy a coffee or eat your breakfast. The kitchen is right out the doors so grabbing seconds isn't a task. Sharing a meal outside alone or with friends and family is a guaranteed conversation starter whether it be about the weather, or to pass the salt.

6. Capture all memories

When I say this I don't mean take pictures of your home or stressed family photos, but take fun candid pictures. Take photos during holidays, movie nights, family dinners, and any memorable moment. Any moment of time is a memory, whether good or bad. We often forget to capture the memories so in your new home take pictures, so you can look back and remember (like me) how good those times were.

7. Be creative

This is now your home! Paint the walls, tear down some walls, add color, add life. Do whatever makes you happy and whatever makes this place your home. Find your aesthetic and have fun. A home doesn't have to look a certain way or have certain people in it. A home is what you make of it!

8. Cherish the home 

heart

A home is something special. It is the place that you feel safe and loved and supported. It is such a privilege to have a roof over your head. I will never take that for granted. I will never forget this wonderful house you will soon call home.

Fill the home with love and life and use these tips to help you love your new home, just as we did. Treasure it in your heart for a long time. I know I will.