Good Riddance

It is amazing the difference a year can make. In the grand scheme of things, one year doesn’t seem like such a long time, yet so many changes can be made. Jobs, schools, friendships, relationships, homes, pets, loved ones. In a year’s time, you can grow into a better person or even lose yourself in a vice. Many people make resolutions in new years for goals they wish to achieve, and some even keep up with it. For me, my goal every year is to grow into a better version of myself.

2016 has been a banner year for me. I have grown up so much and in so many different ways. I have added new faces, learned new skills, I have started writing on a regular basis, and I have learned just how strong I never knew I was. I have realized that things do not have to go my way for me to be happy, I have friends and family that make me happy even when life gets hard. I have so many good people looking out for me. As grateful as I am for 2016 and all that has happened to make me who I am today, I am so ready to say goodbye and leave so many things and people behind. I am ready for a new year with new experiences and new friendships and new relationships. I am ready to leave my past in the past.

I began 2016 in tears, and for the first few months I continued in the same fashion. I was unaware of my own self-worth and was stuck in a situation that made me question it. My decision to walk away was the best decision I could have made, but it was not easy. It is very fitting that Summer is my favorite season because these are months when I began to truly be myself again and to finally realize that I was enough, that I had always been enough. These months did not come without struggles, though. I lost my job not long after signing my paychecks away on a new car, and I struggled to find a new one. Eventually, I returned to a job that I did not love and allowed myself to be stressed out over the fact. Soon after gaining stability and comfort in my finances, that job closed its doors forever and I was out again. Thankfully, one of the many people looking out for me was there to offer me a new financial opportunity so I wasn’t totally screwed.

Because of all of the obstacles I have faced this year, I have realized that I am much stronger than I ever thought possible. I have learned to be unapologetically myself, a lesson I hope to never unlearn. I have learned that actions speak louder than words, and I have tried implementing this through my own actions. In the words of Albus Dumbledore, I have learned that “it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live,” meaning that I cannot hold onto a past that is gone or worry about a future that may be, but rather to live now and enjoy what I have in the here and now.

B- I won’t miss you. I haven’t missed you in a long time. I have grown up since we said goodbye, and I have so much clarity now. You hurt me and left scars. I thought I was damaged because of you, but I am not in spite of you. I no longer need you for comparison or to look back at what not to do. You were a big part of me for a long time, and I don’t regret a second, but I am too happy to leave you in my past. 2017 will be free of you.

Applebee’s- You were a home away from home for nearly 4 years. We began our journey together this month in 2012. I sought for ways out for so long, and at one point I found one, but Applebuddies always find their way back. I guess it was a blessing in disguise when I got the news that you were closing your doors on me. I would have preferred to leave on my own terms, but I recognize a sign when I see one. I will miss all the friends and memories I made there.

I am grateful for all of the lessons of 2016, but I am so ready to move on and to see what new adventures and friendships and memories await me.

Peace out 2016, it’s been real but…good riddance.