You Did A Really Good Job Today

You Did A Really Good Job Today

The small things we say make a big difference.

68
You Did A Really Good Job Today

The first job I ever worked was being a lifeguard. I was 16-years-old working for my indoor high school pool. So far that job was the best job I have ever had. I think I learned more at that job than any other job I have ever worked.

My first lesson was that a little encouragement can go a long way.

For the first year I did not take my job seriously. For me, I was being paid to enjoy myself in a pool. I fooled around and broke pool rules. The times I had to sit and watch the pool were boring and I just kept watching the clock. My supervisor was a very responsible guy named Scott. He followed the rules even when they weren't that necessary to follow them. He was very by the book.

The summers were busiest time because everyone wanted to swim. But most of all we had these kids that went to "camps" but they were really just programs for kids to spend time with each other, make new friends and enjoy their summer. These camps were run by the district, so we always called them "the district kids." The camps were divided to fit different age groups. The district would pay the pool to rent us out for an hour or two for the kids to swim around and play. In each group there were at least 20 to 30 kids. With that many kids, the pool was always chaotic and we had to yell at them to walk all the time.

There was one particular event that changed me profoundly for the duration of my time working there. I remember this one kid slipped into the shallow end right next to my high chair. As soon as I saw him slip i hopped off my chair and made sure the kid was alright. I saw Scott rushing over to where the kid fell and he stopped once he saw that I had the situation under control. The kid was fine and I hopped back onto my chair. This was the first time I actually took charge of anything and it felt amazing. After all the kids left, Scott walked up to me and said, "Hey Kyle, you did a really good job out there today and I just wanted you to know that."

After he said that, something in me changed. I suddenly wanted to be a better lifeguard. I wanted to be confident and capable in my ability to keep the pool safe. I grew a sense of responsibility that I had to keep, not only for my sake, but for the safety of the kids I was watching. After that I began taking my job very seriously. I followed all the rules to the book.

I worked for that pool for about four years and I saw a lot of guards come and go each summer, but I usually stayed. I soon found myself to be a senior guard that other younger guards looked to in times of confusion. I remember I saw a kid slip and fall on the floor by the pool. I noticed another younger guard look at me not knowing what to do. I signaled him that I got this and he should stay at his post as I rushed over to help the crying child. This situation may not mean much to others, but for me it was the greatest feeling in the world. To be reliable and in control in a time of even the smallest of emergencies made me feel like a different person.

I found myself changed as a person all because of that one small commendation from my supervisor. What I learned from this situation is that sometimes it's the small thing that we say to others that make the biggest impact on our lives. If you have a friend or coworker that seems to be struggling with confidence or self assurance be sure to pay them a compliment or reaffirm them of their ability to achieve. You never know when you could change a life.