Going To College Out Of State And Missing Your Hometown
College

Yes I Miss Home, But Going To An Out-Of-State School Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

Choosing a school out of state was the best decision I have ever made.

161
woman in high school graduation gown
Kayla Russo

When I first thought of going away to college I always pictured staying local and not going out of state. I could not imagine going somewhere new, all by myself and not knowing anyone. How was I going to start all over, and make this new place feel like home?

But choosing a school out of state was the best decision I have ever made.

Going to school three hours from home, in a way made me a more independent person and way more self-sufficient. Anything that had to get done, like paying bills, managing appointments, doing laundry, and all the other things that came along with life, we're not going to get done for me. Going from having everything done for me, to having to do all the "adult things" myself, was not easy and it was definitely a learning curve.

But I would not want to have it any other way.

Yes, there were times when I just wanted to go back home and run away from my problems that school was throwing at me, but the distance saved me from doing so. Had I not gone away to school I have no doubt I would be going home every weekend, not staying in my dorm or house, and overall just remaining in the same type of lifestyle I had previous to college.

Being on your own is scary, but it helps you grow and develop into the person you are going to be in life. Being able to get things done on your own, without anyone else's help is the most rewarding feeling.

But it doesn't mean that not going home for weeks or months at a time is any less painful.

Not being able to see your family and friends from back home, as often as you want too is a hard pill to swallow and that homesick feeling never really goes away. But that's when you have to remind yourself that you are in a place where you are working on your future, and in the end, it will all be worth it.

All the days you were homesick, all the times you just wanted to transfer back home, will all be worth it because you didn't take the easy way out and give in just because you wanted to be comfortable.

I believed that great things would happen when I stepped out of my comfort zone, and boy was I right.

Slowly, this strange place called Rhode Island became my second home and I have made memories here and met people that have changed my life forever. None of this would have happened if I did not take a chance, and go off to an unknown place.

Going to a school out of state was the best decision I have ever made.

Thanks, mom and dad for letting me follow my dreams, even if doing so meant I was three hours from home.