Going Offline And Into The Mountains

Going Offline And Into The Mountains

Not everyone needs to know where you are 24/7
5

A few weeks ago, I wrote an article about finding contentment and how that is achievable. I listed several steps and I attempted one this last week. While I found myself still using social media like Snapchat at least once a day to keep up my streaks, I challenged myself to stay off other social media sites.

As I was in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee, I found myself with limited cell service and endless amounts of nature. I have always enjoyed the outdoors-- walking along trails and seeing land that once belonged to someone else. Creating their story or looking for answers on who they were. There was a point where I was walking on part of the Appalachian Trail and I began to think about the people who had come before me and those who would come after me.

You see, in this world, we spend so much time communicating with those who aren't next to us. Thus, we fail to properly learn how to communicate. I was walking through the forest one morning and I just thought how nice it was that everyone's phone had no service. Every now and then I would get to talk to members of my family that are generally so glued into their electronics they don't even know you are there.

I walked around a peaceful land, a land yet to be invaded by large companies and people who chose to destroy the natural earth for their gain. There are no signs of the new age reaching this area and frankly, I was happy. I had no one to compete with in trying to show my vacation was better, I could barely send a text much less post a picture on social media.

I was honestly relieved to get offline for a bit. I wasn't being annoyed by stupidity I find online. While driving, I spent time listening to music and just getting lost in the scenery. We get stuck in a routine and we generally hate change, but this type of change I embraced. It is not often where you can go to a place filled with so much natural beauty and mysteries down hidden trails that without a sense of adventure I would've never seen.

Through this vacation, I spent my time being intentional in focusing on what was really important. I looked at all that God has created and counted myself lucky. For I was fortunate enough to view it all first hand. I began to look at it all from a different angle, being content with where I was and who I am. I feel comfortable in nature and spending several days deep in the mountains was as refreshing as the river I swam in. Freezing but and adventure that other people cannot experience without going out and achievign it.