5 Ways To Find True Contentment

5 Ways To Find True Contentment

Can you be truly happy?
7

In today's world, it is hard to find anyone who is content with their life. We always want more. We always compare ourselves to each other. We fall into this issue of the comparison trap. Now the comparison trap is really exactly what it sounds like – a trap we as humans fall into, comparing ourselves and our lives to others. We stare at the person with the really nice car and envy them for it. We want what they have because we never have enough.

But getting that car or that lifestyle or whatever you want in life, does it every really make you happy?

I can tell you that the answer is no, you may feel happy for a few minutes and then you turn around and someone drives by in a brand new Tesla and instantly you want their car. Even though you just got your "dream car." Just look at all the famous people living in the U.S. and how many of them have depression or an addiction problem, this is to fill the emptiness inside. We think that being famous means you have everything, but I think once you get there you realize being famous brings you nothingness instead. Taylor Swift said it best:

Fame isn't everything. Getting what you think you want will only make you want more. It never makes you happy; it never makes you content. Dealing with the inability to be content, we see that majority of people have FOMO-Fear Of Missing Out. This is a type of anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may occur elsewhere and you are missing out. So here are some ways I try to use to help me find contentment.

1. Ditch the Label!

Please watch the video, it is very eye opening. It shows us how fake we are with social media. We are constantly lying and we only put the best up. Don't put up the lies and remember everyone does it and no one wakes up like that!

2. Take a break from social media.

One of the best things you can do for yourself if you are really down and feeling like you have nothing, just take a break from online. Live in the real world and go out and do things. Don't post it on social media and don't look what other people are doing. Enjoy this time with friends and family go do things that you wanna do.

3. Check your heart and make sure it is strong enough to go on social media.

Since people typically post the best photos of themselves and most of the times it is a lie. We take pictures at different angles to make us look as skinny as possible then post it on social media. Makeup is used to hide the imperfections. But people shouldn't have to stop posting about their amazing vacations or things they have or their natural body type, it isn't their fault that jealousy creeps into our minds. It is a heart issue for us to first deal with. Make sure before going online that you remember their perfect life online isn't actually as perfect as you think. Make sure your heart is strong enough to handle the things you'll see.

4. Wake up every day and write down 3 things that are blessings in your life.

A short activity that you can start your day out. Thinking about your blessings and not about the things you don't have. Do this before you check your phone. Get a journal and leave it by your bed and in the morning write down the three things. If they are people send them a text or give them a call that day letting them know. A simple act of kindness can go a long way.

5. When you think something negative about yourself, then tell yourself 3 positive things.

It is important to fight the mind, it often lies to use. Deceives us and tells us we are worthless and unimportant. Fighting the negativity is not easy, but you must fight it with positivity. Saying the blessing that you have in life or the things you like about yourself helps change your mindset.

All five of these things aren't exactly easy to do. Going against the grain and not trying to be perfect online is very hard. Paul said in Philippians 4:11-14, "Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty." Now, Paul, the apostle did not write this sitting in a castle, he wrote this from prison.