Ten things to know going into sorority
Life Stages

10 Things I Wish I Knew Going into Sorority Recruitment

There are so many rumors that come with sorority recruitment, but about 90 percent of the time they aren't true.

1326
http://jennaqualsett.com/

When I was picking colleges, I knew I wanted to be a part of Greek life which was why I picked such a pro-Greek university; the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I had no idea what to expect, because I was the first in my family to join a sorority, but there were rumors, oh were there rumors. I tried my hardest to ignore them, but the days leading up to recruitment week were, for me, some of the most stressful days of my life. I wanted to make sure I picked the right one for me and not one that I had to change for. Choosing a sorority can bring anxiety and be a scary decision to make, but I hope, from someone who has been through it, these few things can help make this process a little bit easier for you.

1. Don’t obsess over outfits

Let me tell you, outfits are probably one of the least big deals of recruitment week. Since you're given a Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment shirt every girl has to wear, there is even more of a reason not to worry. Don't try to buy name brand clothing or bags, a sorority sister can see up to 100-300 girls each day, so more than likely they aren't going to remember what you were wearing anyways. Stay modest and classy.

2. We are just as nervous as you are

One thing girls probably don't know when going through recruitment is that the girl recruiting you is probably if not more nervous than you are. Don't forget that every girl there has gone through the same EXACT thing as you and can relate. Conversations should flow and be comforting; you are both hoping the conversation goes well.

3. Research sororities before going into recruitment

You probably have heard many rumors from girls you may know in some of the chapters, but they may be being biased. Make sure to try your best to keep an open mind and do some research on your own. Going onto your Panhellenic Associations website and looking at all of your different option is a great idea. With all the social media outlets today, each sorority should have an Instagram and Tumblr you can browse and see the different personalities each chapter gives off. One other thing UNL does is each chapter usually puts out a recruitment video which is a fun way to see the girls in the chapter and how they interact with each other.

4. Trust the process

If you're a PNM you will probably hear this 20 times from your Rho Gamma, but it's true. If you are genuinely yourself and invest time into finding your new home it will pay off and you will end up where you belong.

5. T-shirts are a serious thing

You may not be a t-shirt kind of gal, but you will be after you join a sorority. Comfort Colors t-shirts are probably the best thing that has ever happened in sorority history. Don't even plan on bringing t-shirts from home, because you'll get one for almost every event and have your drawers overflowing.

6. Don’t be alarmed when girls start chanting at you

Yeah, it's true girls may be chanting, but they are just proud of their sisterhood and excited to see each one of your faces walking through the door. It may be loud and in your face, but don't be alarmed it's going to happen and you'll eventually get used to it.

7. It will probably be one of the longest weeks of your life

Not meaning this in a bad way, but it can get stressful and exciting at the same time. You'll go through ups and downs and hard decisions, but everything will work out if you just trust the process, stay open-minded and be yourself.

8. Make friends with your Rho Gamma group

For me personally my Rho Gamma group were people I lived by on my floor, in my dorm. So, making friends with them was an important way to keep connections. You are with your group for the whole week and end up spending a lot of time together: playing games, doing icebreakers, going out for lunch etc. so it's not a bad idea to get to know one another.

9. You’ll get cut from houses

Don't cry about it, it happens to everyone. Don't think you did something wrong it's just how recruitment works. Just like you cut sororities from your list they have to cut you too. It has to go both ways for the process to work.

10. Bid day will probably be one of the best days of your life

The feeling of opening your bid card and finding a new home that accepts you for you is one of the most rewarding things after one of the longest weeks of your life. It's almost like a sigh of relief and you get to meet so many of your new sisters.