Going Back Home For The Summer Is Stressful, But It's Important For Growth
Summer Break

It can be hard to be home from college, and even harder to spend the summer at home, but it's not all bad, I promise.

141

For as long as I can remember, I've spent my summers away at sleep-away camp. Since I was 10 years old, Great Barrington, MA has become my home. I was a camper and then a counselor. This year is different. I landed a dream internship in New York City that I simply couldn't pass up. What does this mean?

I'm home for the summer.

It's something I haven't done since I was a kid and that I have mixed emotions about. It signifies that I'm becoming more of an adult. I would love to go back to camp, but I have a future to look ahead to.

Instead of color war and dining halls, it's commuting and dinner meetings.

This isn't a typical summer when I can sit back and relax, it is one of growth. I'm excited about this opportunity but sad that I'm saying goodbye to my childhood. The other aspect of this is that I'm living at home. This can be a huge adjustment coming from college to back with my family. I'm used to independence and doing pretty much whatever I want. Now, I have to communicate with my parents about what I'm doing and where I'm going.

Life is getting real.

It isn't all college parties and late nights with my friends, it's spreadsheets and meetings. Just a small taste of what is ahead in my future, as I'm returning to college in three months. I'm longing for that sense of freedom and independence I have at school.

Parents have it rough too, though.

These babies that they've raised, are now turning into mini adults. My mom tends to say that she blinked and then I was grown up. It can be hard for them to balance how much they involve themselves and take a step back. It's a difficult balance as no one want to step on each other's toes.

The best thing you can do is to make a schedule for yourself.

I've found that there is a way to balance work and personal life. I know that I work about four days a week, which gives me three days to carve in time with friends. Getting adjusted to a new schedule is something we all have to do and practice for the real world. If you think about it, each semester you have a new schedule and classes that you have to adapt to, so it makes sense that you'll have to adapt to something else.

Remember to have fun.

At the end of the day, it is summer. This is a time that is supposed to be fun and somewhat relaxing. Take the time to spend at home, since you aren't there that much throughout the year. Visit with the people you love, as you're not always this close to each other. But also take time for you. Do things that you want to do, as this is your time off from the stresses of school.

Before you know it, you'll be back at school!