God Told Me To Change My Focus

God Told Me To Change My Focus

God Doesn't OFFER grace, He IS grace.

35
God Told Me To Change My Focus
Little Pink

Recently, my friend Gabe shared a quote with me that reads “Don’t chase after the things of the Father; chase after Him.” How true are these words? We all live with hopes of obtaining joy, rest, or understanding, but we are wrong when we believe that having these attributes will prepare us to better have a relationship with God. In contrast, it works exactly the opposite. When we have a relationship with Christ, blessings such as guidance, understanding, peace, etc., result as products of that loving relationship. God doesn’t require that we “clean ourselves up” before coming into his presence. Rather, he welcomes our dirty feet and jumps at the chance to wash them. He is not the way to blessings such as joy and serenity, but rather, by His very nature, He is exactly these things. Instead of pursuing the qualities Jesus exudes, why not seek the Father himself? Through this, these qualities will be granted to us by grace.

Great. Wow. Nice thought. File that away for another day. Let it collect dust until I determine I need it again. Fine. Whatever.

I have to admit that I’m guilty of doing just that. I study quotes and scriptures and ideas about God and add them to my mental library records. I fire them at friends in need while failing to apply the wise advice to my own life. I’ve learned that there is a difference between studying someone and actually knowing them—a difference between stalking someone and pursuing a genuine relationship with them. During one of my studies (or should I say mindless readings) of God’s word, He spoke to me. Romans six talks about how our old bodies, filled with sin, are dead with the crucifixion of our savior. Furthermore, hallelujah that we also have new bodies through His resurrection. Verse eleven tells us to count ourselves dead to sin but alive to Christ. Why, then, do we continue to sin? Why do we continue to sin when He tells us that we no longer have to be enslaved to sin thanks to His abounding grace? Is there really a clear cut answer to this question?

Not exactly. So now you’re asking yourself where I’m going with this.

Speaking from my own experience, when I am trapped in sin and desperate to escape it, I focus more on the sin than on the one who would offer me liberation from it. How do I stop sinning? How can I find rest? What can I do to turn this around? I. I. I. Me. Me. Me. Where exactly is my focus with questions like these? Exactly. On myself. I have found myself chasing after something of the Father, instead of the Father himself. Why do I continue to ask what I can do when scripture tells me that it is alreadydone? Verse 23 reads “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life inChrist Jesus our Lord.” Now which is more appealing? A life centered around death or around eternal life?

This is not to say that I will never sin again, for we know that we all fall short of the glory of God. Sometimes we simply go through the motions of “being a Christian,” but sometimes we truly do hear Him. My experience with Romans six has given me hope on which to cling—a reminder for the times when I do feel suffocated by death. Our God is good forever. Pursue Him first; mercy and liberation are simply extra bonuses. Promised bonuses, but bonuses none the less. Amen.