Beauty ≠ pain

Beauty ≠ pain

#becrueltyfree

31
Beauty ≠ pain
google

For those of you who don’t know, I’m very passionate about makeup. The top drawer of my dresser is filled with it, and that’s just the stuff I brought with me to college. When I was thirteen and first started wearing makeup, my collection consisted of mascara, powder, and an eyeliner pencil. It’s honestly kind of embarrassing compared to what I have now.

So yes, while I have accumulated quite the compilation of cosmetics, as a consumer, I never really considered what goes on behind the doors of the makeup industry. It may seem like it’s all glitter and glamour, but that’s just not the truth. According to the Humane Society International, “We estimate that approximately 100,000-200,000 animals suffer and die just for cosmetics every year around the world.”

*WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES AHEAD*

I had to really dig into my soul and think Are long eyelashes worth that rabbit losing its sight? Is that lipstick really worth a mouse losing its fur? Is looking pretty really worth subjecting an animal to a laboratory to live out its numbered days in misery? No, it definitely was not. Why would I give money to a corporation whose foundation is based on inflicting pain on animals that can’t defend themselves? I’m aware that animal testing is a whole other debate on it’s own, but for the sake of this article let’s stick to the cosmetic realm.

As a makeup lover, going cruelty-free was a bigger change than I anticipated. I didn’t realize that a lot of the makeup brands I had been using for years were apart of this sacrilege. While I still use the makeup that I have, I try my hardest to not purchase from some of the companies that stand behind animal testing. So while you can dive into cruelty-free brands on your own time, I wanted to compile a list of the ones I have personally used, both high-end and low-end, and some of my favorite products they’ve produced. Each of these brands come from very different origins, but they all have one common belief: cruelty-free is the way to go. If you do some research, you’d be surprised to see who tests on animals (even your good ol’ friend Chapstick). Hope you learn a thing or two today and decide to make a positive life change.

1. Anastasia Beverly Hills- If you’re going to name anyone the queen of eyebrows, it’s Anastasia. Her company contains a wide range of shades for every brow out there. If you’re looking for a good highlighter, the Glow Kit is one of her best-selling products. And while I’m dying to glow like the stars, I’ve only used her Dipbrow Pomade ($18) for when I want those babies to be very bold and her Brow Powder Duo ($23) for a softer and more subtle brow. Both work fantastically and make me feel like I can take on the world, one eyebrow at a time.

2. Colourpop- This might be my favorite brand ever, and for good reason. Colourpop doesn’t test on animals, it’s ideally cheap, the company has a branch in LA so you’re supporting U.S. income, the packaging is adorable, and the quality of the products is mind-blowing. I have some blushes ($8) and eyeshadows ($5), which have a unique formula. To the touch, they seem like a cream consistency but when applied, it’s powder. The pigmentation stays true throughout the day. But the product from them that I adore the most is their Ultra Matte Liquid Lipsticks($6). I have every shade from bright purple to rusty brown. These lipsticks will not budge, and I mean that quite literally. The only effective way to remove at the end of the day is with makeup remover, not water and a tissue. If you haven’t already, give this brand a go!

3. Kat Von D- Kat Von D is the edgy, gothic queen dreams are made of, but that doesn’t mean she’s restricted when it comes to a wide range of shades. I use her Everlasting Liquid Lipstick ($20), which comes in 30 colors BTW. This is similar to the Colourpop lipsticks mentioned above in terms of the product not coming off. She wasn’t kidding when she said “everlasting”. I applied this to the back of my hand in Sephora and despite my best efforts to scrub it off, it didn’t until I used some makeup remover. The other product I use is her Tattoo Liner ($20). I cried after watching The Fault in our Stars with this on and my wings were still sharp. But the thing I like about this eyeliner the most is that it comes with a brush tip, rather than a felt tip, and gives you more control to create the boldest eye-look of your life.

4. It’s a 10- This one product is all you need for healthy, happy hair ($12.69 for a 4 oz at Target). It targets so many problem areas people have with their hair, and this is the miracle everyone’s been waiting for. 10/10 recommend.

5. NARS- I would really love to try more products from Nars, but they’re one of the more expensive brands on this list. They are quite famous for their Laguna Bronzer ($40). I tried a sample and it’s pretty good shade for contouring. I also use their blush ($30) and their eye primer ($26). I’ve heard from a lot of oily skin gals like myself that the eye primer is amazing, but I don’t really have a strong opinion on it. If you want to splurge, give them a try!

6. e.l.f.- This is the cheapest brand you will find out there, but you have to remember you get what you pay for in this case. I’ll admit, a majority of their products are mediocre but there are a few goodies in there worth trying. Their eye primer ($2) is a pretty good dupe for the Urban Decay Primer Potion, it just runs out fairly quick. The brushes aren’t five stars, but if you’re looking for something cheap and that gets the job done, this is the way to go.

7. tarte- This was one of the first high-end brands that I tried way back when I was an infant in the beauty world, and I’m beyond glad that tarte is so actively cruelty-free. I have tried many of their products throughout the years, but my favorite would have to be the lights, camera, lashes mascara ($21). This mascara lengthens, curls, volumizes, and conditions the lashes with olive esters. After using this product, I felt a dramatic change in my natural lashes. Sure, they’re still short and stubby, but they feel conditioned AF. This past Christmas, I received the tarteist PRO Amazonian clay palette ($53) as a gift, and it’s my favorite thing in the world right now. I’m very big on matte shadows, and this comes with so many shades for so many looks.

8. theBalm- The main thing that stands out about this brand is it’s unique vintage packaging. Pinup girls/guys from the 1950s/60s decorate every product this company has to offer, and it’s hard to not appreciate the artistry that goes into it. My all-time favorite highlighter comes from this brand, the Mary Lou-manizer ($24). I love this product so much that after dropping it, I saved every granule and threw it back in the pot. I swear, you will glow with the power of a thousand suns.

9. Yes to- Carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, blueberries, and more! These products are not only made from natural ingredients and are cheap, but you can find them in pretty much any drugstore. The one product I adore is the cucumber facial wipes ($5.99). It’s a quick way to freshen up the skin and remove makeup. When it comes to this brand, just say yes.

10. Too Faced- This brand has a very girly aesthetic, quite contrary to Kat Von D mentioned above (fun fact: they actually did a collab collection together). Some of their best-selling products include the Chocolate Soleil Bronzers ($30) ,which smell like actual chocolate BTW, and my all-time favorite mascara Better Than Sex ($23). I could write a whole essay on how much I love this mascara alone, but I won’t. Trust me, that product contains some straight-up magic that you should try out.

11. Pacifica- I’ve tried so many products from Pacifica, I don’t even know what they are. They have everything from makeup to perfume to candles, all relatively cheap (you can find them at Target). Let’s also not forget to mention the adorable packaging.

12. The Body Shop- Perfume. Face wash. Shampoo. The Body Shop has it all. This brand is very keen on using products from nature, and everything smells so freaking good, the strawberry body butter being my fave ($21). The products themselves can be sort of pricey, but there is almost always some sort of BOGO free deal going on. And don’t even get me started on how many scents there are. It’s like a more mature and classy Bath and Body Works (which is also cruelty-free!).

13. Urban Decay- Distinguished for their Naked eyeshadow palettes ($54), this brand has a lot more to offer. You can find an eyeliner and lipstick in just about every shade and finish imaginable. But my two faves from Urban Decay are the Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20) and the De-Slick setting spray ($31 full size, $15 travel size). Like I said before, I have oily skin and both of these products do me justice. The eye primer prevents creasing of eyeshadow and has some color to it to make the pigmentation pop. The setting spray does a good job of holding down the fortress with my oily skin, and I only have to powder up a few times periodically. I don’t expect a miracle when it comes to my persistent skin type, but it’s close enough.

14. LUSH- I know, walking into Lush can be overwhelming with all the different colors and smells, but everything in the store is hand-made with all natural ingredients, plus everything makes taking a bath/shower so much more fun. Fan favorites include the bath bombs and bubble bars, which can range anywhere from $7-12. One of my personal faves is the bubblegum lip scrub ($10.95). It makes my lips so smooth and soft, perfect for those harsh winter months. Since it’s made out of sugar, it’s edible too.

15. NYX- This is hands down my favorite low-end makeup brand, and I can’t even tell you how many things I’ve tried. Current products I use are the Micro Brow Pencil ($10), the Soft Matte Lip Cream ($6), and the Matte Liquid Liner ($7). I have nothing but good things to say about each of these products, and I certainly hope you give some of my recommendations a go!

*Click the link below to see a partial list of more cruelty-free brands!*

http://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/ultimate-guide-to-...