Gluten-Free Fast Food Hacks And How-Tos

Gluten-Free Fast Food Hacks And How-Tos

It isn't all salads and misery, I promise.

260
Gluten-Free Fast Food Hacks And How-Tos

Gluten is everywhere. No joke, without a keen sense of awareness, gluten is incredibly difficult to avoid. When you have an allergy or an intolerance to gluten (or if heaven forbid, you're Celiac), road trips instantly become more difficult. As a former carsick child who couldn't go anywhere in the car without vomiting, you learn the tricks that help you get through that nauseous feeling; for me, McDonald's french fries always did the trick.

I remember the first road trip I was on post-gluten-intolerance. I remember literal hell, sitting in the front seat, the car rocking over every bump and ditch in the road, and wishing for every minute of the three-hour ride that maybe I would find out that Mickey D's actually used a separate fryer. They don’t.

Not that fast food is really all that great, but when you're in a pinch, on a budget, or in a mall food court, things can happen. I have been gluten-free for about a year and a half now, and I want to share with you some of my gluten-free fast-food hacks and how-to's.

1. Panera isn't just bread.

Panera is almost always a safety net among "fast food" style restaurants. Not only do they feature their own online cheat sheet, which includes seasonal items, but they are really accommodating and honest. Speaking up for yourself can go a long way at Panera (unless you like to live life on the edge like I do). If you can handle being around all the delicious-looking bagels, sandwiches, and pastries, Panera is the place for you. Some of my favorite items include the seasonal items Turkey Chili and the Autumn Squash Soup, as well as the classic Modern Greek Salad with Quinoa.

2. Chipotle is my life.

Chipotle is another "healthy" fast food option, when you're in a pinch--or, if you're like me, if it is any day that ends in -y. My recommendation here would be to tell your server that you have an allergy, so they change their gloves because, otherwise, the chance of cross-contamination is pretty high! Depending on your sensitivity, do your thing. Overall, they are really helpful in terms of allergens. Getting a burrito bowl here means no wheat, but it also means I can save it for a midnight treat!

3. Pizza doesn't have to suck.

If I could have a relationship with pizza, I genuinely think I would. Like if pizza could reciprocate feelings, and wasn't a scrumptiously inanimate object, I would date pizza. I am not going to lie to you, fast food chain pizza is a risky time. I have had good nights with Domino's, (as good as Domino's can get, anyway), and I have had really bad nights with Domino's, if you catch my drift.

That being said, by no means do you have to give up pizza. The kind of fun part about this allergy and your love for pizza, is that you can taste test different gluten-free delivery options around you. When was the last time you did that for yourself? If delivery isn't your thing, I love a good Freschetta four cheese medley. 10 out of 10 would recommend to a friend, (and have!).

4. Don't automatically assume that your french fries are safe.

[See explanation about McDonald's french fries]. Although potatoes are not gluten-containing, when popped into a shared fryer, they lose their shiny, gluten-free emblem. It is very, very important to ask! Because gluten allergies are becoming more common, many restaurants have separate fryers for their french fries. Most fast food restaurants do not, to my knowledge, have the luxury of separate fryers, but I have heard rumors of some Wendy's and Burger Kings making the switch. Some chain restaurants that are safe include Joe's American Bar & Grill and Red Robin.

5. If your gut (physical or metaphorical) says "no," listen to it!

Everyone's stomach is different, and so are their reactions. It is always important to remember that what works for some, may not work for you. As risky as it may sound, you have to try things for yourself. That being said, if you aren't interested in a stomach-ache attempt, then stick to what you know, and only branch out when you are comfortable.

I personally am more likely to try new options for dinner on nights when I don't have much going on, so that way I can sleep off most of my symptoms. If you're the same way, and you don't have Celiac, (please don't kill any more of the villi in your stomach!!), then take some small risks to figure out what works for you.

Life is too short to not eat good [gluten-free] food.