I am Global. I am Woman.

I am Global. I am Woman.

Being a woman is a blessing.

4
I am Global. I am Woman.
WBUR News

Being a woman is a blessing. This former statement has definitely changed over the years. There have been some days, sometimes, and even in small moments when we have felt so insignificant. “Being woman” was never considered a tough enough fight. Instead, it was sometimes stigmatized so negatively by our family and friends, but all of that changes now.

Has it become a better time to be a woman? There is not a picture-perfect scenario in this world for a woman. Globally, there are countries that are simply trying to save its people from each other, and the fight for women’s rights seem like they are far from the agenda. Although this is true, we are starting to see reform in a majorly publicized way.

According to the New York Times, the actions and protests on International Women's Day were as ruthless as ever for women around the world. The protests ranged from economic reforms in Iceland to statement pieces displayed by women in Russia. Iceland’s government is taking affirmative action to eradicate gender pay disparities. The Egyptian authorities are allowing their female prisoners to see their families for an extra month. Four women in Russia had the courage to display posters that castigated the patriarchy. While these four women went to jail, their courage has definitely initiated a spark.

The energy absolutely does not start or end here. Millions of women, those who identify as women, and men around the world of various ages and backgrounds are marching to protest the inherent problematic inequalities still remaining in our world. As we know, the general global political landscape has become almost tarnished. The most seemingly developed countries have somehow regressed, and tons of people every day continue to rally for the “freedom of simply existing”. To name just a few places, marches in France, Argentina, Spain, Italy, the United States, South Korea, India, Kenya, and Palestine are forming this idea of sisterhood. The interconnectedness of all of our stories regardless of our separate narratives remain. Our individual experiences do not just set us apart; they also bind us together.

Here is a story of two unlikely women who are trying to somehow combine their narratives to make a very powerful statement. There are many people in the world now who know Amal Clooney not just for her association with the famous actor of the same last name, but also because of the many social injustices she has continued to resolve over the years. Compared to her, not very many people are familiar with Nadia Murad, who is one of the victims of the Yazidi genocide. The Yazidi are a certain group of people in Islamic state that have been brutally attacked and massacred, many of its women and girls being sold into sex enslavement and trafficking. Murad was one of the many victims of this extremely unfortunate abomination. Clooney will represent her along with many other victims of this genocide against hateful crimes that should be held liable to the Islamic State. According to the New York Times, Murad, among thousands of women were enslaved and raped by over 12 ISIS fighters over a three-month period. This teaming between Murad and Clooney will put up a fight that will surely bring justice to all of those who have suffered from this genocide.

Is the world a better place for women? It is a work-in progress, much like many other parts of life are. The world is a definitely a unique place for women as they can finally take on the role as fearless, valiant warriors who are actively fighting for their lives and their rights.

No matter how small or large your actions may seem, you can definitely influence change. To all the advocates, please look at your history and your present, to see how far you have come. Just know in your hearts and minds that this present journey will always have unfinished business and we will see it to its end.