Global Warming Is Here, And It's Warmer Than Ever
Nature Animals

If one more person tells me global warming isn't real...

43

As I am writing this, it is literally two days before the first day of fall. And yes, I am walking to class in shorts and a t-shirt sweating off nearly all the water that I have had today. Why is it so hot in the middle of September, you might ask? Well, there is this thing called global warming that is becoming a serious issue for our planet.

Remember when it used to be nice and cool around this time? Remember being able to wear leggings and a light sweater without physically burning alive? Me too! My roommate and I cry every time we check the weather before we go to bed because we know that it's going to be hotter than summer out. This isn't normal, folks! Global warming is real, and it's becoming a bigger issue each and every day.

Wildfires are raging on the West Coast. Meanwhile, high-level hurricanes are hitting the East Coast. All in between the weather has turned into the opposite of what it is supposed to be. And the saddest part of all? The people that we, as a country, have put into leadership positions aren't willing to believe it. Some of them say that scientists are wrong and that it's just a coincidence that everything is happening at once. Our own president has even been known to say that global warming isn't real.

Well, I am here to say that scientists are not lying. Global warming (and all the other effects of us humans being awful to the planet) is VERY real and becoming an ever-growing issue. Coral reefs in Australia are rapidly dying. Glaciers that have been frozen for thousands on thousands of years are melting. The beauty that is our planet is slowly withering away. Soon enough, there will be no more of our beautiful planet to love! Wondering what you can do to help keep the planet a beautiful home for us? Well, I'm so glad you asked!

For one, recycle. Please. It takes literally .5 seconds to choose to put something in the recycling bin rather than the garbage can. Landfills are becoming huge issues, so do your part to decrease the amount of garbage you add. Going off of that, please don't litter. It honestly takes more effort to litter sometimes than to just find a garbage (or recycling) bin. Or, if you see a piece of litter on the ground, be a kind citizen and pick it up to put where it goes. How would you like it if someone dumped a load of garbage on top of your head instead of just throwing it where it belongs? Well, that's how the planet feels when you litter.

Also, walk whenever possible. The amount of exhaust that our cars let out every time we drive them is disgusting. It is killing the ozone and adding a tremendous amount to global warming. Whenever possible, simply walk (or carpool if you really can't walk). Reduce your carbon footprint while also getting fit; it's a win-win situation!

Also, try not to use plastic silverware or paper plates whenever you can. That's just an unnecessary way to kill the planet! I know it's more convenient, but just take the extra minute to clean your dishes with some good old soap and water. I promise it'll make a difference for our planet. And above all, enjoy the beauty that is our planet Earth. Take the time to go on a run outside, visit a beach and see the beautiful lakes and oceans that we have.

If you don't get anything out of this article but this one point, just know that the actions that we, as a human race, are doing right now are causing our planet to slowly deteriorate. It is our job to keep this planet as beautiful and as healthy as it was intended to be. This planet is our home, and we always take such good care of our physical houses that we live in. Why can't we treat the planet the same? So do your part today and help me in saving the beautiful place that I call my home.