For Anybody Who Has Heard Or Believes Sorority Stereotypes

Not sure if you want to rush? Have any negative opinions about "sorority girls"?

417
Charamine Lam

Are you an incoming college freshman or maybe a girl who is already in college and may be contemplating whether or not you want to rush a sorority? Are you worried that you're not the "sorority-type"? This is for anyone who has ever heard negative or stereotypical views of what being in a sorority is about.

The negativity surrounding sororities as a whole:

Many girls in sororities (including myself), are tired of being labeled the “typical sorority girl.” This stereotype is typically about groups of girls who pay for friends, take pictures in letters, party, sleep around and occasionally do good for the community. Sure, there are girls that may be part of a Greek organization who chose to behave like that but that doesn’t mean that the thousands and thousands of young women across the world who are members of Greek organizations should be labeled as well.

Often times, the media portrays sororities negatively, which causes people to have negative views. People may have never met a member of a sorority or given one a chance. They automatically assume the worst because of a movie like “Sorority Row.” Movies give viewers the idea that we, as members of a sorority, are mean, ditzy, and to put it bluntly ...sluts. What many people fail to realize is that sororities have minimum GPA requirements, and if you do not meet the requirements there can be serious consequences. I’d also like to add that I had to take a very lengthy and complex written test to be initiated into my sorority. Do people not realize that these organizations are built on tradition and philanthropy?

We selflessly give our time and energy to improve/raise funds for our philanthropies, as each sister did in the years before, yet we are often considered mean or crude. As for the slut trademark, I have no words. I just don’t understand how people can label thousands of girls as “sluts.” I highly doubt that any one person has met every single girl in the 26 existing National Women’s Sororities and all of their chapters across the globe and was able to call everyone a slut based on their actions.

Of course, there are also those of you who may think that being in a sorority is “paying for friends.” The friends I have made through this process are worth far more than the amount I pay in dues each semester. Our friendships are priceless. As an active member of my Greek organization, the dues I pay go towards things such as chapter meetings, sisterhood events, programming, and quality time with the friends that I made BEFORE I paid those dues. These girls chose me to be apart of their sisterhood because of the connection we made prior to me even knowing the cost that comes each semester, or being told that there was one at all.

Of course, I knew going into the situation that there would be a financial aspect, but that is not what it is about. Each girl brings forth so much more to the chapter than their financial contribution, they bring diversity, love, compassion, and unbreakable bonds that will last a lifetime. I did not join a sorority to buy friends, I joined to be a part of something that was bigger than me and something that stood for a worthy cause that I could be actively involved with. The girls I have met along the way were just added blessings that I will always be grateful for.

Reasons to Rush:

Being part of a Greek organization has changed my life in one short semester. My rush experience was nothing but positive and encouraging. Though not everyone who goes out for recruitment will be given a bid, I believe that it is worth giving it a chance. Even if you don’t get a bid, you will meet so many amazing women throughout the process that you’ll be able to keep up with on campus. I met some girls through recruitment who ended up accepting bids from a different sorority or didn’t accept a bid at all and we are still friends to this day. I’m not going to lie, I was a little skeptical going into recruitment. I didn’t really know what to expect and I had seen and heard so much negative stuff about sororities.

I thought that I would have to fit into some kind mold to become a member and I was worried that I wouldn’t. The very first night I was introduced to each sorority; they were filled with such diversity and that was one of the most refreshing feelings. There was no “cookie cutter” sorority girl look, every single person was unique and brought something different to the table. That is what makes them thrive as organizations. The conversations we had with one another didn’t feel fake. They genuinely wanted to make me feel welcome. Even if you don’t like it, I really believe it is worth giving it a try. We share many sacred traditions with women all across the country. There is an indescribable bond! We EARNED those letters. We are PROUD of those letters and everything that they embody and stand for.

Testimonials:

I posted on Facebook asking girls that I know from my sorority as well as other sororities to write how their view on their individual rush process/ sorority experience! I really hope this article and the quotes I was given are enough to encourage someone to rush, and enough to crush any negativity anyone may have felt about sororities and their members.

“Hi, Facebook friends! I'm planning on writing an article about sororities and the stereotypes and negativity that usually surround them. I'm asking anyone who has been in a sorority/is in one now to comment something positive about your experience along with what school and sorority you are a part of. I want to encourage incoming college students to rush and I'd love to include lots of quotes in my article! Thanks!”

“In high school, I had such a negative view/ stereotype on what being in a sorority was like, and I never thought I would be in one because I never considered myself a "conventionally beautiful southern girl", but when I came to recruitment that totally changed. Recruitment was honestly one of the most uplifting times of my life, because it's 100% just about being yourself. One of my favorite recruitment memories is when one of my Ro Chi's asked us if we had any questions about Preference Night, and a PNM asked if they were "judging us based on our looks" and she really was so horrified and every single one of our Ro Chi's made such a big deal to talk about how nobody cares about your looks, and how getting a bid to the right sorority is essentially you choosing your home, and it's just about being yourself and finding people you are happy around, and after a semester of Greek Life, that is so true.”

-Lulu Chu (Kappa Delta, Pace University)

“I'm in Chi Omega at Duke, and I would have to say that despite the negative stereotype that surrounds sororities being an infrastructure through which to "buy your friends," my sorority has allowed me to find the most genuine group of friends I could have ever imagined that are always there for a study/life/future crises, always down to get late night McDonald's and stay up watching YouTube videos, and that your sisters will even let you hang out in their nice single dorm room when they go home for the weekend because you and your other friends all have uncompromising roommates.”

- Alycia Parker (Chi Omega, Duke University)

“I think for me the most positive thing I've experienced so far as a KD is the overwhelming support I feel from every single girl in the chapter. I truly believe that my sisters will push me to be the best I can be.”

-Alyssa Trimm (Kappa Delta, Pace University)

“I'm in Kappa Delta at Pace and as the absolute anti-sorority person in high school, I was genuinely surprised with the people I met during recruitment. People often think that sororities are an idea of forced friends and matching outfits for recruitment where in reality, it's a group of people I made real connections with who have pushed me to do so much in my college career from council to internships and more.”

-Emily Coklin (Kappa Delta, Pace University)

“I'm in sigma kappa at NC state! In high school I absolutely had no girlfriends. Like girls and I didn't get along until I went to college where I got a snap bid mid year! It changed my college experience I suddenly had friends that care about me and are constantly there to support me. I enjoy the philanthropy side of things as I'm involved in a sorority that has a mission I'm also very passionate about. It's honestly just a connection with people that is more than strictly social.”

-Leslie Small (Sigma Kappa, North Carolina State University)

“Being in Kappa Delta at Pace has truly transformed me for the better. People think of sororities as ditzy girls who pay for their friends but those people don't know we have to meet a GPA requirement to rush (and let's not forget KD has the highest GPA on campus!!) Kappa Delta has truly given me and so many other girls in our chapter to blossom into confident, unique, smart women and has pushed me specifically to run for council and become the even more confident woman I am today.”

-Elena Pinciaro (Kappa Delta, Pace University)

“I'm in Alpha Phi at UNC and it helped make it easier to find people I can connect with in school. I love my big and my twin. My big and I share very similar personalities. Everyone's so caring and I've never met a more supportive group of women. From watching basketball to picking me up to hang out when I needed a friend, I definitely think recruitment is worth it despite being a long process.”

-Taylor Mayes (Alpha Phi, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill)

“As someone who rushed late in their college career, I have to say joining Kappa Delta at Pace completed me. I can happily say that pledging was not only a time where I met some of the greatest people in my life, but also helped me find myself through the support of all of my sisters. I went through some difficult times last semester at KD was ALWAYS there for me. Another great thing is that we share something with each other that is so special and it is not the same with anyone else. I always know that KD will be there no matter what.”

-Sabrina Verterano (Kappa Delta, Pace University)

“What Sisterhood means to me: Sisterhood is not something that happens overnight. Although it takes time and effort, it is by far the most rewarding aspect of being in a sorority. It is a bond that cannot be broken. When I think of my sisterhood, I think of what we are all connected by: our values, our philanthropic cause, but most importantly, our ritual. This sisterhood encourages us to be the best women we can be and to live by our ritual every single day. This is a type of feeling that is hard to understand until you experience it for yourself. "From the outside looking in, you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never describe it." Going Alpha Xi was the best decision I have ever made and I would not trade my Sisterhood for anything.”

-Taylor Tramel (Alpha Xi, University of North Carolina Asheville)

“It all depends. It's what you make It!”

-Drena Dillon

"At Campbell University and have found such joy through the lifelong friendships I have made. I was unsure, at first, about joining a sorority until I put my toe in the water and fell in love with the constant support, genuineness, and encouragement. I am currently disaffiliated because I am the VP of Panhellenic Greek life at Campbell and decided to become a Rho Gamma (recruitment counselor) to help encourage the incoming freshmen to make the best decision possible for themselves. Greek life at Campbell is small compared to big state schools, but it is continuously growing and becoming stronger, which brings such joy because I hope Greek life can influences others lives in the positive way it has mine."

-Kara Wilkerson (Unaffiliated at the time to ensure her duties as a Rho Gamma, Campbell University)