When You Give A Girl A Brother

When You Give A Girl A Brother

You've made her smile a little harder and skin a little tougher.

Recently, I wrote an article titled 'When You Give A Girl A Sister' describing the highlights of what it means to have sisters. They had no idea I was going to write about them until it was actually live on Odyssey! Well, if you're anything like me, you were not only blessed with beautiful sisters, but brothers as well. That's right. I am the youngest of 5 kids, meaning I have 2 bothers and 2 sisters. So brother, this one's for you!

Growing up, I have had the time of my life simply because of my siblings, with my fair share of adventures, scraped knees, and life lessons; however, when you give a girl a brother, you've given her someone that could never be replaced.

When you give a girl a big brother, you've given her a hand to hold and a shoulder to lean on. He's the hero you run to when your dad isn't around. You've given her someone to watch over her and make sure no harm comes her way.

When you give a girl a brother, you give her someone to make a big deal out of her birthday (and probably your favorite gifts too). Especially when he's more creative than you've ever been. You may just end up with a circus themed birthday filled with popcorn machines, bouncy houses, and cotton candy makers.

When you give a girl a brother, you give her someone she actually looks like in the family. Seriously, the blonde hair and light eyes is like hidden treasure in this family.

Giving a girl a brother is more than giving her someone to annoy for the rest of her life. It's giving her someone she can rely on as she grows and someone who will defend her in difficult times. It's giving her a place to run to when she doesn't want to be at home right then.

When you give a girl a brother, you've given her one of the toughest critics. He will try at first to hide his ill feelings towards certain things, but the truth will always show on his face. Giving her a brother isn't just giving her a critic, it's giving her a terrible liar as well.

When you give a girl a brother, you give her someone that forces her to eat healthier. You give her a workout partner, or better yet a personal trainer. You've given her someone to push her to greater heights than she even thought possible for herself.

When you give a girl a brother, you give her someone to root for her during cheerleading competitions and Friday night home games. Even if he doesn't know all the lingo or 411 about your competitions, he'll be right beside your mom screaming your name.

When you give a girl a brother, be prepared for family gossip. You've given her someone to sit next to at family events and make fun of certain things they overhear or see.

Giving her an older brother means any boy she brings around is judged on the spot. He knows your taste sometimes better than you do and knows when the guy will be a complete dud (sorry guys!)

When you give a girl a brother, you give her (and her sisters) someone to annoy until the very end with their bickering. You give them someone to break up petty fights and occasionally allow them to continue when he finds them entertaining. Whether it be about who ate the last cookie in the box or who stole the other's t-shirt. Yes, the brothers hear it all, even things they would've rather never known.

Being lucky enough to have sisters is one thing, but to have an older brother, too, is something unimaginable. You give her the type of protection and love she couldn't find anywhere else.

When you give a girl a brother, you give her an alliance, a role model, and a hero. You've given her someone to aspire to be.

When you give a girl a brother, you give her the world simply by having him around.

I thank God for giving me the brother I was blessed with. Someone as generous, caring, and noble as he is. Without a brother, I probably wouldn't be as fearless or light-hearted. I love you more than words can say, and no amount of 'thank you's' will ever suffice.