The Girlfriend Left Behind

The Girlfriend Left Behind

He's graduating and I still have another year.

5
The Girlfriend Left Behind
Rachael Patten

I just finished up my junior year of college, and I’m really looking forward to returning to everything I love about campus in the fall for my last year as an undergrad. However, there is a major thing that won’t be there upon my return, and it will really affect what I do. It’s been there for my first three years, and it will be really different without it there.

I met my boyfriend at college. We met in October of my freshman year, became friends, and eventually, began to date. He was ending his sophomore year while I was wrapping up my freshman year. When we got together, we had no idea where life was going to take us, let alone still be together two years later. But of course, him being a year older than me means that he graduates before me. And now, for the first time in two years, I will have to adjust to a campus without him.

Now, let me give you a perspective on how our year has been. When we began the school year, we had been dating for a year and four months. I have watched my boyfriend apply for jobs for after graduation while I have been doing homework and preparing for my senior year of college. I watched him plan for his future, and I had to sit back and just watch. I am the type of person who likes to know exactly what is going to happen in the future and what I’m going to do with my life. However, with this situation, you won’t get all of the answers. Everything is up in the air and you have to deal with things when they happen. This is something that I have struggled to accept. I don’t like not knowing what is going to happen, especially with our future, but I know that we will make it through the road bumps together. We don’t plan on letting this affect our relationship anytime soon; that is the one thing I can count on.

My boyfriend, when we’re not in school, lives six and a half hours away from me. It’s not easy for us to just see each other whenever we want. I can’t just get lunch with him or go on a date with him. We have spent two summers in between school years apart, and we were able to get through that. I believe that we have the ability to make it for longer if we have to. Of course, I would rather be as close to him as possible, but if it isn’t, then I’m OK with it.

No matter where my boyfriend ends up, I’m OK with it. I know he’s going to be successful with whatever he ends up doing wherever he ends up. I am lucky to be able to see how hard working and successful he is, and I know that he will be able to bring that drive to any job. I’m going to miss him like crazy; college is going to be really different without him. But I know that at the end of the day, he's successful, and I would not want it any other way.