Why Guys Sometimes Prefer Video Games Over Their Significant Other

You are not the problem. It's the video game.

16441
123rf

Girls, do you hate when your boyfriend wants to play video games all day rather than hang out with you? I am sure you have had at least one day where he didn't even pay attention to you or anything you were saying just because he had to win a medal or complete an objective. Perhaps, you may have dumped him because he was spending more time with his video games than with you. But I imagine that you've at least once wondered "What do video games have that I don't?" or "How does he think that video games are better than this? THIS?"

Well, I am writing this for both men and women who just cannot understand why people would play video games when there is lot more fun, and kinky, things to do. I mean, before I finally realized how great the video games were, I said: "Why would you waste hours playing meaningless games that don't do anything meaningful in your life?" But I've realized, ladies and gentlemen, that if you find the game, you are not only having fun, but you also get the chance to become a character, a hero, or live in the fantasy you wanted to live in. Thus your need for anything else becomes obsolete (well, as long as the video game stays new or interesting).

Think of it this way. Have you ever watched a movie or a TV series that had the character that you could relate to and loved so much? Then, think of an action that the character took that made you feel upset and made you say "I would have gone for... or I would have done..."? Were you able to change the course of the movie or TV series? No, because 1. It was already recorded, and 2. it was scripted that way.

However, the video games are quite different. We like to play games and sometimes would spend the whole day playing it because we are able to take control of the stories, or actions of the characters so that they complete the mission, or the story the way we want them to finish. It's like writing our own story where we can manipulate the details and the ending (in some games). So once you start writing the story, you just can't finish it. You've got to see how it ends. So many times, people play games for hours to reach the end or to reach their goal within the game. It's not that you are not pretty or annoying, its just that when you get into something that much, you just can't quit it.

I am sure you've had a similar experience with other things. There are things that once we become obsessed with, we've got to see it end or we will go crazy. Whether it is shopping, reading, watching a movie or binge-watching Netflix, once they become an obsession, you've got to see things through. Video games are just like that. Some of the games tell a very good story. So don't think of video games as something stupid that geeks like, see it as anything that we become obsessed with: chocolate, alcohol, money, shopping, etc.

So next time you see your boyfriend/girlfriend too busy with video games, instead of getting mad at them, understand why they play it and try to offer something better to do together and compromise. Maybe he/she might like you more for being supportive and playing games with them. Just be open about it. Let grudges about video games go.