Just Because You Got Into College Doesn't Mean You Waitlist Your Boyfriend

Staying with the person you love can offer you a support system and a best friend.

238
Wyatt Fisher / Flickr

During senior of high school, as you prepare to step into the next chapter of your life, you're probably under the impression that anything following you from the past will only hinder your future experience. As a junior in college, with the same boyfriend and some close ties with those I went to high school with, I can genuinely tell you that being in a relationship has not altered my college experience negatively. With that being said, if you feel in your heart that this relationship will only bring you down in college, perhaps breaking up and going your separate ways isn’t a terrible choice.

However, if you feel pressured to end what seems to be a good relationship simply because of the stigma that you will not have as much fun as your peers, think again. Losing what has the potential to be a lasting, healthy and supportive relationship with the person you love is not worth giving up on because of the distance or this transitional moment in your life. If new experiences with new men are not something you long after, staying with someone you love can offer you a support system and a best friend.

There is nothing wrong with feeling like you need to take these years to focus on yourself and discover what you really want from love, relationships, hookups and everything in between. And while some may argue that being in a relationship takes away from the time and effort you could be taking to learn and evolve individually, I beg to differ. In fact, being in a relationship throughout college has taught me more about myself than I would have ever known otherwise.

Love has taught me patience when I had wanted to move too quickly, it has taught me what I value, how to make sacrifices in difficult situations, and how to compromise in others. My relationship has taught me selflessness in moments where I wanted the world to myself, I have learned confidence, empathy, and the list goes on. People will always ask you what if, “What if it doesn’t last?” “Don’t you want to see what you’re missing out on?”

While no relationship is guaranteed a happy ending, a loving relationship (during whatever time period in your life,) will provide you with some of the greatest life lessons. A good boyfriend will not deter you from making friends, getting involved, or going out. So go out there and find yourself during the next 4 years, with your significant other on some days and without on others. College is truly what you make of it. Don’t let anyone make the rules for you.