To The Girl Who Doesn't Need Feminism

Maybe you don't need feminism, but I do.

It's wonderful that you want to marry a man. It's great that you want to make him dinner every night. It's great that you want to have children. It's great that you want to put your family before your career.

But that is not the case for me, or for many of us.

You are not all women. You are not all people.

You say you don't need feminism because you want to be a stay-at-home parent, to submit to your husband, to raise children. That's exactly why other women do; you are able to make these choices, but many women have none, and still others take shit for taking another path.

For a long time, I said I hated pink. I said I hated dresses and boys and cooking. Then I realized that I was lying. I really, honestly liked all those things. And I still need feminism, because I like cooking, but I don't want the obligation to cook. I like boys, but not exclusively, and I want the option to be with someone of another gender, or no one at all. I like dresses, but I wouldn't if I wasn't allowed to wear pants. And for each "traditionally feminine" thing I do enjoy, there are others I want nothing to do with. I don't want to be a parent and there is nothing on this planet I would put before my career aspirations.

I need feminism not only because I don't want to be a traditional wife and mother, but also because I shouldn't be expected to. I need feminism because all of these things are so closely associated with "womanhood."

You say you don't need feminism because we're "already equal." It's true that in our first world American society, we have it relatively easy, although there are a myriad of subtle political and societal biases against women (not to mention trans* and nonbinary people). But there other women in the world who don't have proper access to education, who are forced to marry men they do not love or even know, who put their lives in jeopardy if they show their bodies in public. Even if you don't need feminism for yourself, you should need it for them.

And no, feminists don't hate men--some ARE men! We just hate when people try to tell us that women (or people of any gender) are supposed to behave a certain way.

You are not all women, but you should stand with them. Need feminism not for yourself, but for all the rest of us.