Gilmore Girls: The Last Four Words

Gilmore Girls: The Last Four Words

Those last four words we have been waiting for have only left us wanting more.

8
Gilmore Girls: The Last Four Words
www.tenor.co

Honestly, I'd have to re-watch each of the four 90 minute Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life to do a just review of each individually.

Here's what I can say after binge watching all four in a row. Firstly, if you haven't watched it, having a smorgasbord of snacks is a must, also huge spoilers ahead. Turn back now if you haven't watched them yet.

Okay folks, seven years of television followed by a nine year hiatus and approximately 359 minutes is what we have invested for those enticing last four words dangled by Amy Sherman-Palladino way back in Season Five (2005).

Rory: Mom.

Lorelai: Yeah?

Rory: I'm pregnant.

My reaction was pretty much that of a drunken Sookie at Thanksgiving in Season Three.

This exchange is the last four words of the story (supposedly) and will bring the parallel of Lorelai and Rory's lives full circle.

The engaged Logan Huntzberger, to whom Rory had been a mistress for years, is Rory's Christopher Hayden. Lorelai even calls Rory out on her inability to give up her college love much like Lorelai's inability to tell Chris no, ever. Personally, if Logan were not engaged, I would have been completely happy with Rory and Logan being the endgame for her, but hopefully, since both are famous for infidelity, they do not.

Jess therefore, much to Team Jess's joy, is Rory's Luke Danes character. As much as I loathed Jess and Rory together in high school, I could see them as an adorable couple following the movie series. He seems to have really grown up, and he was the one who pulled her out of her slump by suggesting she write a nonfiction novel about her life.

I am actually well pleased with the nine year hiatus before these lines were uttered. If Sherman-Palladino had written those lines at the end of Rory's graduation or even a few months out of college I think we all would have been terribly disappointed.

The whole show is about Lorelai Gilmore working her butt off to give her daughter, Rory, opportunities that were not available to a sixteen-year-old single mother. Rory went out and saw the world. She made a name for herself. She was published in The New Yorker. She needed to see the world a little bit before becoming a mother. Her living her life alongside Jess, raising what I would assume is her daughter, Lorelai the Fourth, in Stars Hollow is a way better idea at the age of 32 than the age of 22 or 23. This is, of course, assuming she doesn't follow through with her plans to move to Queens.

A lot of fans were disappointed by Rory's circumstances. While I never am a fan of an affair, I think Rory needs to finish finding herself through motherhood. Personally, I think the conclusion speaks to a message that is always relevant: family is more important than work. Most of the disdain at the ending is rooted in the fans' desire for Rory to have "more" than motherhood. I thought the ending of her coming home spoke volumes that sometimes there isn't or shouldn't be the always distant greener grass of "more." Lorelai always had to try to convince her parents that being a mother is not a lesser accomplishment than a college degree, and she was right.

I'm still processing the four revival movies altogether, but I have to admit, I'm hoping for a season two of movies. Mainly for me, it's because as fans, we've heard and seen the occasional flashbacks of Lorelai's story and journey through motherhood and finally realizing that Luke is the love of her life, but with Rory, we could watch it all almost from the beginning.

We are introduced to her as a sixteen-year-old shy and ambitious book worm, and now we got to see her strike out on her own, get her feet back on the ground, and come back home to the town and family who loves her unconditionally. I think it would be so fun to watch her through her pregnancy, to see her baby, and watch her raise her child while begging her to see that Jess still loves her. Perhaps she'll continue to edit the Stars Hollow Gazette and make it into a noteworthy newspaper.

Whether those last four words left you angry, crying, laughing, or confused, one thing is for sure: Sherman-Palladino left her fans with a shock that can still be built on. I for one hope this cliffhanger is picked up in a few years. Stars Hollow is a magical home that so many of us love to escape to, and I for one would love to see the misadventures of the townspeople and Gilmore Girls continue.