10 Gift Ideas For The Dungeons and Dragons Friend

Ten gifts for your D&D friend so you can start preparing now.

8

Is it over a month since the holidays? Absolutely. Am I still going to write an article about gift ideas in hopes it will prepare you for upcoming birthdays or even next year? Absolutely.

Truthfully, this came to me while I was walking in the bookstore for the fifth time this week, checking the price of all the things I need for D&D still. My mothers voice came ringing out, "I had no idea what to buy you. Your brother has so much, and you so little." I seem to always think of things I want or need after the fact.

So, here's ten gifts for your D&D friend so you can start preparing now.

Dice.

storage.needpix.com

Listen, D&D players love dice - or as we call them: shiny, click clack, math rocks. These are relatively easy to find depending on the type you're looking for. You can never go wrong with a pretty Chessex set from Barnes and Noble. Now, if you're looking metal dice, you'll have to go to a specialty store. I personally want some pink sparkle dice. Also, some borealis dice. There’s tons of online stores where you can find a wide variety! Regardless, your friend will love them!

Dice Bag

live.staticflickr.com

A dice bag does not seem necessary until you have five sets of shiny click clack math rocks and the Chessex containers are now ruining your life. A dice bag soon becomes imperative. Now, I don't really have any recommendations since I don't even have a dice bag myself, but I feel like something that has strings to pull close and ornate designs would be perfect for any tabletop gamer.

Dice Box

www.elderwoodacademy.com

Why do you need a dice bag AND a dice box? Well, technically a dice box is used during the game for rolling to protect the table. Dice boxes also help to keep the dice from going all over the table or from falling off the table. Dice boxes can be something small, like the ones that snap together or can be stored flat; dice boxes can also be ornate things, like wooden boxes that can double as dice storage.

Spell Cards

dnd.gf9games.com

Spell cards are nearly essential for most players. Majority of the classes in D&D have some sort of magic abilities, and therefore they have tons of spells players have to know, especially for battle. Having a set of spell cards for their class helps immensely during these times when magic is needed in a pinch in the game.

Players Handbook

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

This is a little more on the pricey range, but the players handbook is an essential for D&D players. It has all the basic rules as well as classes and races you can play as. Everything you need to know about D&D can be found in this book. Any D&D player would love to have this as a gift!

Minis and Paint

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

Miniatures are a staple for playing D&D. Things can get confusing in your mind sometimes, so having the visuals to put on the table really helps. Having a specific miniature for your characters is so fun and being able to paint them makes it feel even more personal. Miniatures are a great gift, and they're also reasonably priced.

Character Folio

cdn.shopify.com

Character folios are super handy because you can keep track of your character sheet as well as spells cards or other cards you may need. A character folio would be a great gift because it will help keep a player organized while playing and while they are just storing their stuff.

D&D Novelties

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

D&D novelty items are great gifts because it brings something you would use every day - like blankets, stickers, or shirts - and adds that D&D flair to it. It makes it feel more personalized as well!

Xanathar’s Guide to Everything

target.scene7.com

Xanathar's Guide to Everything is the second essential book you need as a D&D player. This has everything in it that the Players Handbook doesn't have. I also have been told there are other classes and races in this book you can create characters out of. This is a great gift because it is an essential, but also just something really fun to read through.

Character Artwork

i.pinimg.com

Character art could potentially be one of the cheapest gifts, but also the most sentimental. Everyone that plays D&D loves their characters so much, having a drawn picture of their character would mean so much to anyone who plays the game.

Overall, there are tons of things you can get for your D&D friends, you really just have to think outside the box!