Ghostbusters' Impact Beyond The Box Office

It's not just about the numbers.

15
YouTube

Opinions on the new "Ghostbusters" movie are polarized. The comedy has both been praised and reviled. The CGI has been criticized. The cameos are fantastic. Personally, I was thrilled with the film, and I plan on seeing it more. However, I am not writing this to discuss and debate why the movie is good or bad as a film. Sure, it isn’t perfect, but everyone has their own favorite movie. I want to tell you why this movie is an important step for the future of female characters in films.

One of the most overheard criticisms is that the movie features an all-female main cast. Many people voiced their disapproval of this decision, not always diplomatically. The movie actually changed one of its scenes to address the hateful comments that the trailers received. "Ghostbusters" was projected to earn $30 million in its opening weekend, but that number was actually changed to $40-$50 million. It earned $46 million in its opening weekend. Several other countries have yet to release the film, so its numbers will only rise. In the face of criticism, the film has been doing well.

What I like most about this movie in terms of its women-driven cast is that the movie could have just as easily been done with an all-male cast. While that may seem strange, it actually shows that actresses can lead comedy and science fiction films. So why wasn’t it done with all males? Because it already has been. The female cast shows that girls and women can be Ghostbusters, just like guys can. The movie looks at the science behind the paranormal, showing young girls that they can grow up to study science if that’s what they want to do. Their gender should not be a hindrance. This movie could very well be a cause for an increase in females in STEM fields.

Even Ghostbusters Halloween costumes are changing. These are stereotypical "Sexy (insert something that never needed to be sexy)" costumes that have been sold for the franchise.

This costume is based on the outfits from the new film.

Already, there is hope for a new Halloween costume that doesn’t oversexualize. Also regarding merchandise, the new film has a line of toys featuring the main characters. This might seem common sense, but it’ll be difficult for stores to sell out of merchandise of the film’s female characters. Compare this situation to that of "Star Wars" The Force Awakens." Merchandise for Rey, one of the main characters of the newest "Star Wars" , has been difficult to find in stores. The reason for this shortage is that children were not expected to want Rey merchandise, even though she has a huge role in the film. In order for there to be a shortage of "Ghostbusters" merchandise, stores would have to not stock any of the four main characters.

Finally, I’d like to point out that the new "Ghostbusters" has little to no romance. While there are very brief mentions of romantic attraction, the ladies in this film are not driven by their desire to pursue or continue a relationship. These women are all about science and busting ghosts. Despite mixed opinions towards "Ghostbusters," I certainly cannot wait to see the positive effects that this movie has on women and girls who see themselves in the main characters.