How To Get Out Of Plans

'I Have A Date With My Dog,' And 9 Other Excuses To Get Out Of Plans That Might Actually Work

Sometimes you just have to bail.

125
Friends

We occasionally get a call or text message asking if we want to hang out. There are times when we become so busy with either homework, family dinners, or other important events that we cannot attend the outing. There are several ways to avoid getting involved in these situations, like forgetting about it or just being honest. You can also try being creative, but it can be really challenging making up excuses to get out of plans. Here are 10 excuses to get out of events that you were invited to attend.

1. I have so much work to do

Work can mean a variety of things. Nobody will know if you have to leave for your part-time job, treat yourself to a nice dinner, or catch up on your favorite shows. Doing activities like cleaning your college dorm or house, finishing a paper for class, or going to the gym would be considered work by many people. You do not have to tell your friends the real story.

2. The prices for an Uber are too high

Depending on where you live and the location of the event, the price of an Uber will change. As a college student, you do not want to pay more for traveling across town. Tell your friends that the cost is too much. When the price does go down, apologize and make plans for another day. This is a good excuse if you are low on cash and want to save your money.

3. I ate something earlier and now I feel sick

Try making up something you had eaten for lunch or dinner that caused you to get sick. Cough to make it believable. This is a good excuse to get out of going to a party if you have plans or do not like the location your friends chose.

4. There are relatives coming over for dinner and I have to get ready

Give the names of some people in your family (or just make up names) for this excuse. Tell your friends what you are going to eat and the occasion. Examples could be a birthday or a graduation. Apologize and say you need to reschedule.

5. I have to do laundry

We need to keep our clothes washed and stay updated with fashion trends (which change every week) in order to fit in with the public. This is an excuse for when you do not have time to meet friends at that fancy bar or restaurant because you need to go to the store, gym, or bank. Laundry takes a few hours so this excuse will sound believable if you use it.

6. The hot water is not working

This is a perfect excuse if you want to relax at home after being out all day. There are many ways to follow through with this one. Try adding to it by saying you were at the gym, running in the park (if the weather is warm), or working in the backyard. Friends will understand after you explain that you do not want to show up looking dirty and smelling bad.

7. I have a date with my dog

This excuse can mean a lot of things. You can say the date is either going to the vet, caring for your sick dog at home, pet sitting, or anything related to pets. If your friends love animals (especially dogs) then this one will definitely work.

8. I lost my keys

Here is a classic excuse that most people will understand. Losing your keys is a serious thing since you will not be able to travel without them. Tell your friends you need to clean the house to find them and ask to meet them another day. Do not talk for too long or they might talk you into calling for an Uber.

9. The batteries in my GPS need to be replaced

Use this excuse when you have a way to get the location, but do not want to go. Tell your friends that you have enough gas in your car, know the time of the meetup, but cannot input the location into your GPS. Say that another time will be better since you need to go down to the store and purchase some new batteries. Do not allow them to ask you about checking Google Maps (which will most likely give you unfamiliar directions) or printing out a physical map.

10. I have to study for an exam tomorrow

This excuse is believable (if you are a student and are not in the same class) because students take a lot of exams during the semester. Mention what class you are taking and tell them that the test is in the morning and you need rest. Only use this excuse if the plans were made on a day when you do not have class the next day, and then reschedule for another week.