Getting Back On Track After Break

Getting Back On Track After Break

Some thoughts to help you finish the semester strong.
202

One of life's greatest challenges, in my opinion, is setting a morning alarm. That, and dealing with stressful late nights, uncomfortable library desks, and unfriendly people. So, the best thing about a vacation from school? All of these misfortunes are merely nonexistent.

A long break from school or work is essential every now and then, but getting back on track can feel impossible. How do you go from sleeping in every day and basically doing nothing to working on overdrive?

It's not easy, but hopefully, some of these tips will help you get out of that rut or get back on track after a long break or vacation:

1. Plan

Before heading back to school, grab your calendar and write down all those due dates, exam dates, work shifts, and appointments. If you can, try to schedule in time for the gym too. I personally think that if everything is written in front of me, I'm more likely to follow through with my responsibilities.

Once you have all of your important dates written down, make a list prioritizing the things you want to accomplish during your first week back. You could make a study plan for one of your most important upcoming exams, set a goal to work out at least two times that week, or plan out all of your meals. The more organized you are, the more efficient you'll be in accomplishing your day-to-day tasks.

2. Review

In one of my classes, we started a new lesson the day before vacation and were told that we would resume the lesson after the break. This, I do not understand, but either way, it's important to refresh your memory before stepping foot into the classroom or lecture hall again. Look through your notebooks or word documents and re-write your notes if necessary. If your professors post their notes online, make sure you review those notes and write them out in your own words. If you have some extra time before classes get started, write out all of the questions you have. Try to clear up all of the confusion sometime during that first week back, whether you ask your professor in person or through email, ask a peer, or do some research on your own.

3. Get Help

Let's face it, we've all gotten away with procrastinating numerous times, but seeking help is one thing that should never be put off. Some problems do not go away overnight. In fact, most progress with time. If you're struggling with your grades, visit your professor's office hours, or look into getting a tutor. If you're stressed about internships or careers, make an appointment at the appropriate office or center. If you're dealing with trauma and have never gotten the help you needed, make it a priority to get that help.

The last few weeks of school can be extremely tiring on your mind and body, so don't take on all of that weight alone.

4. Consistency

This is one of the hardest parts about college. Very rarely do I go to bed and wake up at the same time, eat regular meals, or follow a strict workout plan. However, I've put in more effort and trying to be as consistent as I can. I definitely see a difference in my mood and alertness. Everyone's body has a biological clock that takes time to adjust to new routines. If you're constantly going to bed at 3 a.m. and decide you'll start going to bed at 9 a.m., you may have trouble falling asleep the first few nights.

Eventually, your body will get used to the change, but your body won't understand what you're doing if you alternate between going to bed in the middle of the night and going to bed super early in the night. Being a consistent hard-worker, healthy eater, and a responsible student will be the key to a successful semester.