"Get Out" Tackles The Issue Of Modern Day Racism

When the horror story is actually reality.
341

Jordan Peele, famous for his role in Comedy Central's "Key and Peele," made his directorial debut in the horror film "Get Out." The highly anticipated film smashed box offices last weekend bringing in $100 million dollars, making it the fastest Blumhouse movie to cross this mark beating out Split (19 days), Paranormal Activity 3 (29 days), and Paranormal Activity (50 days.) While Get Out tells the story of Chris, an African American man visiting the family of his white girlfriend, Rose, for a weekend in an eerie town of sadistic white people and hypnotized black people, Get Out also starts the discussion of forms of modern day racism in America.

Racism became a huge discussion in the recent years with the rise of Black Lives Matter and protests against police brutality. And while critics claim racism is no longer an issue in today's society, the truth is racism is still a continual problem in the United States. And the recent spike in hate crimes since President Donald Trump's inauguration only further show the expansion of this divide. Jordan Peele makes several subliminal hints towards this issue throughout his film.

Cell Phones

Cell phone camera footage has become an increasingly used form of evidence in recording officers during incidents of police brutality. Cell phone videos have acted the eyes of the victims in these cases in a system that is biased against them. Peele reference's this during a scene in which Chris attempts to take a video of Logan, a black resident who he had just met while attending a dinner party. From the beginning, Logan has shown some very odd behavior towards Chris, which he attempts to capture on video.

Police Profiling

In the beginning of the film, Chris and Rose meet a police officer once they enter the city limits of Rose's town. Although Rose was operating the vehicle at the time the police officer pulled them over, the officer asked for Chris's driver's license to scan along with Rose's. This reference the statistics that show that African Americans are more likely to be profiled and pulled over for traffic stops than any other race.

Political Parties

Not afraid to become political, during the dinner party scene, each of the residents of the town wears some sort of article of clothing that is the color red, whereas Chris is the only person wearing the color blue. This scene is meant to represent the demographics that support the Democrat and Republican parties. The town residents depicted in red represent the Republican demographics, as they are typically white, upper middle class or wealthy Americans in the 40-60 age range. While Chris, in blue, represents the demographics of the Democrats, which normally consist of minorities and lower income Americans of the 18-39 age range.

America Today

Lastly, in this image here, the positions and colors of Chris and Rose's clothing suggests the look of an American flag. The pained and concerned expressions on their faces symbolize the current stress and discomfort many minority citizens feel about the country right now. Many people are worried about minority representation in the new administration and fear of a too powerful and corrupt central government.