Time For Millennials To Get Active

Time For Millennials To Get Active

Put down the smartphone, shut off the laptop, and lace up those tennis shoes...

11
Time For Millennials To Get Active
SquareSpace

As one of the first generations to grow up in an obese-ridden American society, we heard time and time again things like, "eat your vegetables," and "an apple a day makes the doctor go away," and "you need to get at least 60 minutes of exercise or activity every day." In most of our middle and high schools we were required to take Physical Education, where we would run laps, or play badminton, and learn about how to eat right and not be lazy all the time. Why was this so stressed for us, while it may not have been for our parents? The list of reasons is virtually never ending, but I'll stick to three main reasons:

1) Technology in food preservatives and storage drastically changed what people were eating on a daily basis right before and as we were growing up. Regular home-cooked meals quickly became a quick, microwavable hot-pocket, pizza, or even vegetable dishes because time had become a luxury that many working class people (even those with kids) no longer had. The danger of this? At the time, scientists and doctors did not realize the harmful effects of the processed food's chemicals on immune systems, digestive tracts and metabolisms. This was a huge factor in why the obese population in America grew so rapidly.

2) The shift in the work force from blue collar, physical labor jobs, to the technology-oriented world we live in today had a drastic affect on people's health. Instead of lifting, carrying, moving large objects, or doing really any repeated physical action that kept bodies muscled and active, adults were now sitting in desk chairs for eight hours a day, only moving to use the bathroom or take a lunch break. The severe lack in physical activity also drastically altered people's median weight and health status, also adding to the growing obese population.

3) The rise in computer and video gaming technology during our generation's childhood caused a huge shift in the daily schedule and focus of our generation. Instead of going outside to bike ride in the neighborhood with our friends, we had Ninetendo Supergame Boys and XBOXs and Atari to keep us entertained for hours on end. We didn't need or want to leave the comforts of our home anymore, because we didn't need to just to find something to do. Without the necessity to go outside and play, average hours of activity or exercise that a child received (unless they were forced to go outside by their parents) dropped to nearly zero.

So why do I bring this up? Well maybe it's because I've noticed a trend in my peers. Let me explain. I find myself spontaneously going to a park or gym to play pick up basketball or volleyball, or occasionally just go on a run on a fairly regular basis. Am I super in shape? Am I a health or fitness nut? Not even close. However, when I get a text or call from a friend saying the equivalent of "what's up?" and I respond that I am playing some sport or other, the reaction tends to be something along the lines of "oh my God, how are you always playing sports like that?" The answer to me tends to be a simple one; I always have, and always will love sports, and playing them not only makes me happy and relieves stress, but is a great way to get physically active.

Now, I am well aware that there are many people out there who are not fans of sports. Whether you don't like them because you're not good at them, and therefore they aren't fun for you, or because you just aren't a team-oriented type of person, is up to the individual in question. It is perfectly fine to hate sports, or not want to participate in them. However, in today's crazy, technologically-centered, fast-paced world, I think that it is a shame that so many people my age tend to neglect physical and outdoor activity. I'm not asking you to become a health-nut, or lose weight, or find a sport that you love. All I suggest is that you find something you either want to try, or used to love, and get back out there and do it. It can be interval training for 30 seconds a day, or playing badminton once every other week. But please, for your own mental and physical health, get out and PLAY.