10 Reasons To Get A Dog In College

10 Reasons To Get A Dog In College

Assuming you live in off-campus housing!

64
10 Reasons To Get A Dog In College
Jennifer Zhang

One of the best decisions I made in college was to get a puppy senior year. I had some concerns before I got her and was worried it would be a mistake. But, none of those concerns happened and I am so much happier than I would have been if I never got her. Here are 10 reasons to get a puppy in college!

1. Dogs love unconditionally and relieve anxiety

This is a bit of a two-in-one, but especially in college, we could all use an anxiety-reducer.

2. They're not too hard to take care of

One of my biggest concerns before I got my pup was that I wouldn't be able to raise her well. However, a dog really isn't that hard to care for - they eat, poop, and sleep. Spending time with the pup isn't a chore, it's something I love to do. Vet visits aren't bad, either, and they only come up on occasion.

3. They don't have to be expensive

Adopting a dog from a shelter is one of the cheapest options (around $150), and you can also find very cheap pups for sale. I found mine on a Facebook group, 'Puppies for Sale in Southern California', and she was inexpensive and her health is perfectly fine. Be cautious when adopting from independent sellers, and make sure you take them to the vet soon! The smaller the dog, the cheaper the supplies that you'll need to get for them.

4. It's very rewarding

Raising a dog can have very rewarding moments. I love teaching my tricks, and bringing her to new places!

5. They'll help you make friends

Wherever I walk my puppy, someone stops every few feet to pet her. My pup loves people, so she gets incredibly happy when we go for walks.

6. They're there for you if you're going through a rough time

My puppy is only two months old, but she can already tell when I'm feeling sad. It's great to have a furry friend who empathizes and loves you unconditionally, helping you through hard times.

7. There's always something to do 

Dog parks, grooming, forest walks, and more! All with your furry best friend.

8. It's not hard to spend time with your pup 

Granted, I'm a business major so I don't have much coursework. I work remotely, so I'm home most of the time to sleep, study, and work. When I do have certain events, she could be left alone for most of the day and still be fine.

9. Your children won't be old enough to feel much grief

If you get a puppy in college and your life is somewhat on the generic timeline, your dog could be with you throughout your marriage and children, and when it passes, your children aren't old enough to be grieving about it. It's tragic, but inevitably going to happen so best to plan for it.

10. Endless hours of entertainment

Life doesn't get old with a puppy. This is kind of a duplicate point, but it could use more emphasis. They reduce anxiety, loneliness, and boredom!