Reasons Why Every College Student Should Have A Dog

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself." -Josh Billings

2074
facebook

For the last several months I have been trying to convince my parents to buy me a dog. First it was for Christmas, then it was for my birthday, then it was as a gift for moving into my new apartment this summer. I even began to send my parents weekly photos of a Miniature Australian Sheppard mix puppy I want. My parents keep denying to let me have a dog with many reasons I can counteract, the main one being how I am in college and I do not have the time for a dog. If you are a dog-lover like I am, I'm sure you can come up with many reasons and explanations as to why you should be allowed to have a dog in college. Here are my reasons as to why every college student should have a dog.

1. Teach Responsibility

College is all about learning to be independent, growing up and getting us ready for adulthood. Having a dog is the perfect for all of that. Having a dog in college teaches you responsibility. A dog is like having a child, you have to feed them, play with them, teach them, and you get to watch them grow. Also, having a dog in college teaches you how to budget your money.

You cannot go and spend money on anything and everything. You need extra money for your pet to take to the vet, to feed, or in case an emergency comes up.

The only difference between having a dog and a child is dogs sleep during the day, so you are able to go to work, class and carry on with your daily activities without having to find a babysitter, so you have the time to do your daily activities and take care of them as needed.

2. Promote Exercise

Dogs promote exercise. Dogs are full of energy and love to play, but they also need their exercise. Unlike humans dog need to go for daily walks, and what better way to exercise yourself then with a dog by your side.

Dogs are even sometimes great running partners or just help motivate you to go outside and play frisbee or ball with them.

3. Good For Your Health

Dogs are good for your health. Not only do dogs promote exercise because you have to walk them daily. It is also a proven fact that dogs help lower anxiety, depression, stress, and even more mental health disorders. And honestly that is why every college student needs their own dog because we all get majorly stressed at some point in our college career where we just want to give up, and not try anymore, but your dog can help you calm down lower your stress or test anxiety, get you to calm down, and help you perform better on your exam.

They are great cuddle buddies which is a proven fact that helps reduce stress, or they can even be there to give you hugs, kisses, or even a friend to lay your head on to help you calm down. Dogs also help build a person’s physical health because they expose their owner to a variety of different germs which helps build their owner’s immune system so the owner is less likely to get sick. There have even been studies to show how dogs are able to detect a person who has cancer in the early stages by sniffing, nudging, nibbling or licking the area of cancer. Dogs are known to have a sick-sense when you are sick and tend to be more loving in those times,

4. They Are the Best of Best Friends

Having a dog is more than just having a pet, it's having a friend for life. Dogs are great friends to everyone. No matter what you say to them, they will always be there for you. Unlike people, dogs don’t hold regrets, they never leave you, and they are never too busy to be there for you, they are always loyal. I mean let us face the fact their primary job is to be there for you. If you have had a bad day at work, you never have to worry about coming home and not having anyone to talk to, to cuddle with, or to be there for you, you will have your dog waiting there patiently for your return. Even though they do not talk to you they are the best type of listeners there are. They don’t judge you or think of you differently no matter what you do to them, they are just there for support and to give you all their love and put a smile on your face.

5. They Take Away Your Loneliness

As you go through college or even life there comes times where you feel like you have no one and you are extremely lonely. You are away from home, sometimes in a new city or state or even all your friends are busy living their lives. With a dog you always have someone to be there with you, to talk to, to cuddle with, to lean on, to hug. Dogs can even help you meet new friends because who doesn't love dogs. Take your dog on a walk or to the doggy park and meet other people who share the love of dogs with you, and you might even make a new friend.

6. No One Can Deny You

The common excuse you get from parents or

authority figures for reasons why a college student should not have a dog is because

you don’t live in a pet friendly environment.

But let me let you in on a little secret, no place or landlord can deny

you or charge you a fee if you have a service or emotional support dog. And it gets better, you can make any dog a

service or emotional support dog online at the Unites States Dog Registry for

as low as $79 for a one-time fee and your dog is registered for life.

No place can deny you or charge you for your dog as long as it is registered and you have the provided paperwork.

Having a dog as a college student is more helpful than it is hurtful. If you are a dog lover like I am, in college, and you have been trying to convince someone to get you a dog. I hope this article helps you with your argument as much as I hope it helps me because there is no reason why you cannot have a dog if you really want one.