Genuine Original

Genuine Original

Living originally...yeah, kinda like Sadie Robertson.

13
Genuine Original
Ann-Marie Reasor

"If you are who you're meant to be, you will set the world on fire." -St. Catherine of Sienna

I have always tried to be a good worker in every area of my life: as a student, daughter, friend, sister, dancer, employee, teacher, writer and most importantly as a child of God. I have always tried to bring my "A game" in these areas. I thought that if I could be the best at these I would be happy with myself. I was ecstatic when I meet my goals as a dancer (in spite of many threatening injuries) just in time to graduate and go to college; I was so blessed when my relationship with God became habitual instead of "Oh, I have to do this." I was thrilled when my mom said I was one of her best friends. All the aforementioned areas of my life make up who I am. In one way or another, they are who I am. So why do I feel like I always fall short? Why do I feel like every other girl is doing better than me? Why do I feel so uneasy with myself? I know I'm being "the best version of myself" I can be, or at least striving to be so. I know that I am so loved and that I am enough. So what is bothering me?

The other night, I was lying in bed and it dawned on me: I feel like I am never the best at what I do. I look around and there is always someone, some girl, doing it better than me. I'm over here struggling so hard to do well and do some good, while she's over there all perfect without having to even try.

I go to bed so tired that as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm as sound asleep as a baby. Why is it so hard for me? Why do I have to try so hard? My dance instructors say that I'm a natural. God has always been number one in my life. I have always loved to write. I love my family! Why? Why then is it so hard for me to keep up with it all and barely scrape by doing my best?

Now my dear, it is time to tell you, and time to reiterate with myself: you do not have to be the best. As a matter of fact, there is no best. Each human being, each one of you are the best. You are an original! There is not another you anywhere, anyhow! There is not another living soul who could do what you were created to do, or be who you were created to be. All you have to do is try your hardest and never give up (sounds easy, but it's hard). However, I have complete confidence in you! Once you get where you want to be, it will all be worthwhile, I promise! And it does get easier.

Now about that girl who seems perfect: don't let your mind think like that! Just like you have unspoken hardships, insecurities, and struggles, so does that girl. Did you ever think that maybe you could be that girl to someone? As you see a girl walk by you in the mall, you think to yourself, "Well she has it all," someone could walk by you and be thinking the very same thing!

Each girl, each person, has their imperfections. They are unavoidable and inevitable, but they make us who we are and they help us to be even better then our petty human weaknesses. Use, embrace and love your imperfections, because they are perfect!

You are a perfectly imperfect, genuine, original you! You are the best!